What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Has anyone seen Whale Rider? (1 Viewer)

Kim D

Stunt Coordinator
Whale Rider is currently playing at the only theater I will go to -- AMC RiverEast. I saw the movie yesterday in what must be their smallest theater.

I sat behind grandparents with two small girls. They were talking before the movie so I asked if they would be talking during the movie as well. They thought I was rude to say the least. The grandmother said they might ask questions during the movie.

They did. They asked questions during the entire movie.

I loved the movie anyway. Go see it.

- kim

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I rented this and watched it last night. It blew me away and I think its one of the best movies of the year.
Some may be put off of the premise but I urge you to take a chance. Its story is powerful and the performances are top notch.
I hope this gets screenplay adaption and Best Picture not to mention a nomination for the young girl.

It's out on DVD. Go rent it!

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I'll join the crowd in saying that Keisha Castle-Hughes is stunning in this film. Everyone involved is good, but she gives it the impact it has. I remember reading (in Jeffrey Wells' column?) that she didn't want to act anymore, though! If I still took the Academy Awards seriously I'd be rooting for her.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just watched this last week. :emoji_thumbsup:

Not much to add here except to ask: is it just me or did Cliff Curtis (Paikea's father) seemingly go to the Mel Gibson school of acting?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I'll join the crowd in saying that Keisha Castle-Hughes is stunning in this film. Everyone involved is good, but she gives it the impact it has. I remember reading (in Jeffrey Wells' column?) that she didn't want to act anymore, though!
Hard to believe she picked Star Wars 3 to do as her next movie although she will probably upstaged by robots and special effects.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
This initially played in one of our ‘art’ houses—for quite a while actually.

It made it to a few of the multiplexes for a bit and is now back in a different ‘art’ house.

Definitely worth seeing.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who hasn't seen Whale Rider.

I just watched it today.. I thought it was going to be kind of artsy-fartsy type stuff, but no, it was this poignant story about cultural awarness and tradition set in New Zealand..

God, I wept like a baby.. :b

I really think it's one of the best movies of the 2003!

So do yourself a favor and watch it when you get the chance..

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I am ashamed to say that I never got to see it when it was on in cinemas. I dismissed it as another mediocre NZ film being overhyped. When I eventually saw it (on DVD over Christmas), I felt like a traitor to my country for not supporting it in cinema.

I was truly astonished by it. It is a great film, beautiful, moving, incredible.

And the whole world now knows the Keisha Castle-Hughes is an incredible actress. Hopefully the nomination will cause more people to seek out this film.

The funny thing about the nomination is the fact that the studios were pushing her for Supporting Actress, which seemed like a lie to me - she's the lead! Fortunately the Academy voters also recognised the truth.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
It's well-loved here too. I saw it once in the theater and once via the DVD I bought. It would be interesting to know how the DVD is selling this week.

The funny thing about the nomination is the fact that the studios were pushing her for Supporting Actress, which seemed like a lie to me - she's the lead! Fortunately the Academy voters also recognised the truth.
Just thinking about that puts a big, goofy grin on my face. A large percentage of actors, individually, took it upon themselves to write her name in the Lead Actress spot. Just the thought of that makes it all the more special.

Adam Lenhardt posted links to a wonderful interview with Keisha in the Academy Awards Discussion thread.. There are two, and they're fun to watch. If anyone else comes across more video like this, please pass it along. Thanks!

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Not much to add here except to ask: is it just me or did Cliff Curtis (Paikea's father) seemingly go to the Mel Gibson school of acting?
I was thrown the entire movie by seeing him give a great performance as a Chechen illegal in Traffic on USA.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I was thrown the entire movie by seeing him give a great performance as a Chechen illegal in Traffic on USA.
How about his Latin gang member in Training Day? (He has one of the best scenes in the film with Ethan Hawke.) Or his Iraqi torturer in Three Kings?

The guy's a chameleon.

M.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I am glad it got an actress nomination. I had hoped for more nods but this is better than nothing.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
this and "rabbit proof fence" restored my hope in child actors.

macauley (sp?) who??? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Koala
Recent bookmarks