What's new

Has anyone installed Vista SP2? (1 Viewer)

I'm interested in having a smoother running PC that doesn't hog memory all over the shop so I can hardly compute the things i need to compute. Does SP2 create any problems or solve any? Or would my problems only be solved by uninstalling and getting Windows 7? Does it run smoother on a Dell laptop with hardly any RAM?

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I installed SP2 on my Dell laptop a few days ago and I can't really see any noticeable difference.

Since you are interested in SP2 you've probably already looked at this: windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/Help/e060ffa2-1a1b-4182-ad16-db9d7336b7ce1033.mspx

It just outlines the things that SP2 fixes.

On the point of memory, Vista is a memory hog any way you look at it so SP2 probably won't make any difference one way or the other. I haven't really studied the particulars about Windows 7 but maybe it will be a little more memory friendly.

I've regretted getting Vista since about a month after I got it. I think I had a honeymoon period while it slowly clogged up my computer with demons. Now I just turn off all the "pretty" settings and wish I had XP back, but can't be bothered researching how to go back.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I like the "pretty" stuff.
But it does take a fairly hefty machine to do it without bogging it down.

The only problem I had with Vista was a HP DesignJet 110 plus printer that wouldn't work inside of AutoCad 2000 because HP hadn't released an updated driver. I waited until finally they released a driver. It still didn't work. So I waited some more. Finally, HP released a driver on June 30, 2009 and I decided to give it one more try. Now it works! I couldn't believe it.

Anyway, I said all that to say this: After not having been able to get the HP printer to work with Vista I went back to XP until just a few days ago. Now I've got Vista installed and everything seems to be working fine. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself)

The way I went back to XP was to back up all my files and do a clean install on a freshly formatted hard drive. If you've still got your XP CD or DVD you should be able to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks