What's new

Harman Kardon Vs Onkyo i have a choice between 2 from each company (1 Viewer)

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
alright simple question what dop you people recomend?

HK AVR 125
HK AVR 225

TXrs 500
TXSR 600

those are my options i cant decide i need help

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I have an Onkyo txsr500 that i'm quite happy with. As an older model it was on clearance. I bought it to replace a Harman Kardon that stopped working properly after a couple of years so I won't be buying more H/K stuff anytime soon.

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
i have narrowed my selection to itehr the Harman/Kardon AVR 125 or the Onkyo TXsr 600 after alot of reviews but really my only main concernt between the two is thet the HK has 45watts at 8ohms and the TXSR600 is 80watts at 8ohms plus they give the ratings for when it drops to even 3ohms its at like 215watts i believe but the HK they give no such information but in either case im just trying to figure out what the best deal is here the HK is $100 cheaper but also 35watts less of power but then again it looks realy sweet to ... but im more into performance so wich one is better?

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Do you need DDEX/6.1? Are you into Speaker A/B (multiroom stereo)?
I prefer the HK 225, but only if you're ok not having these options.

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
i have a small room i dont care for 6.1 and ive gotten attached to my 5.1 setup i dopnt care for multi room im mostly listening to stereo inputs surround is only for my anime movies i dont care for AB switching but i do care about clerity(spelling?) i like to hear the fine intraments in my music and i like to hear them loud i have a pair of 200 watt towers and 200 watt floor standers but the towers are nicer errgh im sorry i rambled some more here well im intrested in surround only for movies every now and then and i mostly use stereo for my music sometimes DSP to but i dont like how when i turn my reciver up to 25 (its max is 50) and everything gets al distorted so i would like to have the power to stop that problem

Tom Lee

Agent
I use to own a Onkyo, very good receivers. I also enjoy HK's alot too. Don't worry about the HK's output in terms of power. They are usually very conservative, where onkyo's newer line (the TXSR's) don't seem to be able to put out the specified watts. HK usually have a quality issues, so to tell you the truth, it's hard to say. I would say listen to them both. Even though I'm a Onkyo fan, I would probably go with the HK225

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I've owned the HK AVR 125 and loved it, no problems, great clean power and nice features! I know have the HK AVR 520 and can't be more pleased. These receivers give out excellent sound and CLEAN power, it's not always quantitiy, more quality! And HK's stuff is consistant power too, keep than in mind. I would recommend the HK from personal experience. I have never really listened to Onkyo, but I've always been a fan of HK and will probably always buy HK.

Mark Ro

Agent
In the last two months I've had the Harmon Kardon 220, the Onkyo 600, and now the Marantz 6200. I like the HK's sound much better thant he Onkyo's. The Onkyo has a much better remote, 6.1, and more features. The sound does not stand up to the HK though. I ended up with the Marantz that gives me the 6.1, and for my personal taste I like the sound the best of these three.

KyleGS

Second Unit
I would opt for the HK. The HK has NO trouble with power/output. The sound was cleaner and more dynamic in my eyes than all other receivers I demoed at the price range-including Onkyo. My HK125 is plenty of power for my fairly large room and fairly inefficient speakers (NSP-1).

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm i see 500 is a steep investment for me since i dont have a job yet so i really dont want to go out and spend 500 then to have to get a new amp or even new reciver next year i want to make sure this investment is good and will last me for alittle

DavidAM

Second Unit
I've had the HK520 for a year now and never had a problem with it. I think the rumors about HK's quality being bad is yesterdays news. They did have some problems a few years ago, but it seems like they have tightened up and are putting out a very good product right now. The bottom line in very manufacturer makes duds, so for every HK problem you hear about, you will find an Onkyo problem, Denon problem, Marantz problem, etc. Add the fact that any HK will walk all over any Onkyo in the same price bracket makes your purchase a no brainer.

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
well if i did grab the HK AVR125 could it push my speakers with no problems and have nice clear sound at close to max volume levels? speakers KHL M365 200watt towers

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
thats all i really care about clearity and loudness and not having to get new speakers

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
If this was about a Denon or Marantz vs the H/K, then I would say you have to listen to them.

The Onkyo is very decent, but...

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
alright mostlikely i will go with itehr the HK AVR 125 or the HK AVR 225 now im curious then AVR125's listed output is 45watts by 5 and the AVR 225 is 55watts by 5 i was reading around and found that the onkyo TXSR600 is listed at 80 watts by 5 but in actuality it drops to 30watts by 5 do the HK's suffer this same problem? yes im paying attention to wattage beacause i dont have $1000 to go out and buy an external amp and i love loud music its usualy past the 50% of max level nomatter what im listening to and its really steep for me 400 is ok but 500 is way to hard to get so i want to make sure i wont be needing much later on. all i want to know is wich one can i get and not need a wmplifire later on i only care about pushing my main speakers they are towers rated at 5W-200W at 35Hz-20kHz 8 ohms average aslong as i can push those babys to max with no distortion i am happy

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
pfft here if anyone cares to see my speakers lol they are probably crap to most out there but they sounded nice and between those and sony's i opted for the better sounding of the pair hmm KLH 35Hz-20kHz Sony 50Hz-50kHz i dunno the KLH's looked better number wise but i dont know anyhting lol well enough blabing heres the link My Babies

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Lyden,
I have the HK 225, so of course I may seem biased, but believe me- I spent a lot of time researching (made my wife nuts), spoke to a lot of people, and did a lot of listening. This is what I came up with: HK are true power rated. The QC issues are no longer a problem. Top people in the sound industry are giving the HK's a thumbs up, such as a gentleman (Stuart) from SMR home theatre AV mag. The HK sound is cleaner and warmer than most others. If what you need are the basics (5.1), go for the 225. Look into jandr.com for a great price. They will email you the lowest price. I told them I would pick it up because I'm in the area and they offered to ship it for free. The speakers you use make the greatest difference in your system, and even if your speakers are bright, the HK will sound good. I too looked into the 125 but wanted a bit more power with the 225. The 320 is another great machine- I wouldn't bother though because it's basically rated at the same power as the 225. The difference are the upgrade options. Between what you are looking at and your needs- the 225 is the way to go. Come to think of it- this is nothing but biased, but aren't all opinions? Good luck!

Lyden

Stunt Coordinator
lol finaly i get some information i can use thankx alot Jose. i dont have a wife to drive mad but i bet my mom isnt doing so good with the constant trips to local stores sadly she wont bumb me her creditcard info to order the reciver online :frowning: so im struck with local stores unless they do C.O.D. wich i highly doubt. beeing the poor teen i am i might end up with the 125 in stead of the 225 that extra 100 really hits my pockest big time and i just cant deal without music for 4 months i know once the hollidays roll around i'll have some money maybe i'll just throw it all at a new reciver then and put the one i get now downstairs or something but my room is a cubeicle on stereoids 12ft by 12ft and its got a bunch of unpleasent corners and random 1ft walls that stick out for no reson do you think the 125 would be enough for such a small room?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks