What's new

harman kardon 520 vs Yamaha HTR-5490 (1 Viewer)

Steven_B

Agent
I can't decide, both seem to fit my needs. I just need someone with experience to push me this way or that. I haven't heard the 520, but I have heard other models and they sounded good to me. Please help, what are the important difference's that can be found? What I found is that the 520 doesn't have DTS ES or B speaker outs; the Yamaha doesn't have logic 7 and an additional remote.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I'm almost in the same boat as you. I currently own a Yammie and have been thinking about a different unit. I have considered the HK's due to thier sound...but I have been cautious due to they seem to have a lot of problems as where I have had none with my Yammie's in the last 8yrs. HK's have a neat sound..but I dont need the trouble... and have been looking at other options myself..

anyway..good luck

thomas

Steven_B

Agent
I have a seven or eight year old 590 Yamaha myself, unfortunately it quit on me several months ago. Don't get me wrong up until that point flawless performance. It's time to upgrade anyhow. Most unfortunately I undated myself with all this new tech stuff, and now find it hard to trim away all the bells and whistle's I wouldn't ever use. I have a 5-speaker setup (JBL's) and will soon get a sub, nothing fancy. I currently watch all my movies through my VCR (JVC); I am getting a DVD player, but will have to wait until after the holidays. I also have a Yamaha (cdc-555) cd player. I have a limited amount ($) to work with, but want to get a strong unite that will last me another 7 or 8 years. I just can't decide.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The 520 does indeed have DTS ES Discrete and Matrix. So does the 320 for that matter. What they don't have is a 6th amplifier channel, so you'll need an external amp to drive a center rear speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks