What's new

Happiness is a Warm (Nail) Gun **Updated** (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
I want to share what I've been up to lately. Some of you may have noticed it wasn't DVD reviews. Actually, I was considering quitting reviews altogether, but have since changed my mind. I have taken a little leave from review chores, however, and taken on a fairly major project at home. I'm not finished, but here is a web page I put together with some background and pictures of where I am so far, with all due apologies to those with slow connections :)...
Project: Obi
Wouldn't you know it. Now that I have some discs I actually want to review, my HT system is down waiting for shelves. Damn!
**Update**
The shelves arrived today (Thursday) and my rig is back in business. A few new pics added to the above page as well.
[Edited last by Robert George on July 20, 2001 at 12:51 AM]

J.C. Hall

Grip
Obi,
I have lurked around this forum for going on three years. I do not post very often at all but I had to after seeing this project of yours. That is one heck of a do-it-yourself install job. Looks great. Keep all of us posted on your progress because I'm sure I'm not the only one who is going to want to see the completed project. By the way, nice T.V. It looks a lot like mine.
wink.gif

J.C.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Looking good, Obi. I especially like the doors on the back of the built in. Easy access to the back of the "stack" is a huge plus.
One suggestion- I noticed a wall outlet below the built in rack, with two power cords vanishing into the wall. I assume those are for the equipment, yes? Perhaps you could relocate the outlet to the other side of the wall by:
1. Cutting a hole for an "old work" electrical box on the opposite side of the wall from that outlet.
2. Pull the electrical wire out of the existing outlet. Don't forget to secure the power to the outlet first. It DOES bite!
3. Feed it through the new "old work" box, and install the box. If the old box protrudes too deep into the new box's space, you can always just bust out the old box.
4. Put a blank off plate on the box below the rack in the theater area. Or, since you appear to be very crafty with drywall, you could fill in the box, for an even cleaner appearance.
I'd really like to be able to do the flush mount thing in my home, but I'm not about to bust through the block wall to do it! Oh, hell, I'll just build a new custom home, complete with dedicated theater room. :)
Todd

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Obi:
I am looking to build my first DIY Audio rack based off of the Sanus design. I will need to buy glass for the shelves and so I was wondering where you got your glass. Thanks!
------------------
In Him,
GH
My Home
Theater

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Hey Obi
Looking great. As soon as I hit the section regarding closing in the rear of the TV I knew the enclosed rack was soon to follow. If I read correctly you will be making your own rack with custom shelves. Did you consider using something like a Mid-Atlantic rack, with custom faceplates?
I love the look of recessed equipment. With that done you may even want to experiment with bringing your mains forward and out a bit.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Nice job Obi you've given me a bunch of new idea's :)
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Steve_D

Second Unit
Looks great!
Don't forget about cooling with all those components in that enclosed space!
------------------
Link Removed

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Obi,
Yes, that's how is starts. First you get an idea. Then comes the "while I'm at it phase I might as well...."
Remember, it never ends. (Actually, only one thing causes it to end, but I don't wish to think about that eventuality. It's bad enough that I turn 59 tomorrow.
laugh.gif
)
I'd like to think that I had a little part in your sudden urge to start cutting a lot more holes in your homestead than you originally envisioned and the resultant never-ending story. That would be a partial payback for all the upgrades you have "forced" me to purchase over the years.
wink.gif

Well done.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Now grab the pea from my hand, grasshopper.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Robert George

Screenwriter
Todd:
I considered moving the outlets to the other side of the wall, but there is quite a bit of wiring in that part of the wall and it would have been a bigger job than it seems. There will be an accent table, or something like that, in the corner so we decided it was not a big deal leaving the outlets where they were.
Grady:
The glass shelves were ordered form a local glass company. Just about any glass company can get this sort of thing.
Steve:
Cooling was a primary concern when I decided on a semi-closed cabinet. I opted to keep the front open (briefly considered smoked glass doors) and I designed the back of the cabinet with a 4 inch gap at the top and bottom for convective air circulation. There is space above each component and several inches behind not even including the 4 inch gap in the cabinet. Additionally, the cabinet was designed with the receiver at the top. That is the only component in the system that generates any appreciable heat, and even that isn't that much. I don't anticipate a problem with heat build-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks