What's new

HAL ROACH FORGOTTEN COMEDIES 10/17/17 (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched The Housekeeper's Daughter last night. I'm sorry to say the picture quality was poor; by far the worst of the three in this set.

The film itself I enjoyed. I particularly liked Joan Bennett's performance - I'll have to watch Eleven Men And A Girl! - and again I was impressed by John Hubbard. It was interesting to see Victor Mature in a very early role, and to see him being bossed about by Marc Lawrence whom I always think of as Cobby in The Asphalt Jungle.

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Received my copy from Importcds and it is a pressed DVD. The three movies are subtitled. (HOUSEKEEPER'S DAUGHTER has a reference to Charlie McCarthy subbed as 'Johnny McCarthy'...Ha.Ha.) 250 minutes on one DVD. I was surprised the movies are pillarboxed even when watching on an old CRT.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I watched two of the three so far.

I really liked Turnabout and the voice-switching that a couple previous posters panned, didn't bother me at all.
Does anyone remember the 1979 mid-season NBC series Turnabout with John Schuck and Sharon Gless? It
wasn't on long enough (7 episodes) for me to remember it now, but I did watch it at the time.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Any possible news on Charlie Chase's @ Hal Roach The Talkies Volume 2 coming out?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
With Vol. 1 of the Hal Roach streamliners coming in March 2020,from ClassicFlix, I thought I'd bump this in case anyone missed this three feature Hal Roach release.

Plus I listed the Hal Roach, United Artists, 1938-41, features and streamliner, 1941-48, releases in Posts #11 and #13.

1.jpg

John Hubbard and Joan Bennett, in "The Housekeeper's Daughter".
1a.jpg

2 HOUSEKEEPERSDAUGHTER2TRADEAD.jpg

Hubbard and Carole Landis, in "Turnabout" and "Road Show".
3 Annex%20-%20Landis,%20Carole_NRFPT_094.jpg

4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks