What's new

H/T for beginners... (1 Viewer)

OK, I was always into a good car stereo (quality, not the SPL booming crap), but I just got a 32" Wega and Samsung DVD for the holidays, so it's time to start with a decent home theatre. I'm NOT looking for the best of the best, just something that can play movies fairly acurately, and some music once in a while.

I picked up a few things online already, mainly some Wharfedale Valdus 400 mains ($200 shipped/pair), a BIC DV-52Si center channel ($50 shipped), BIC DV-32 surrounds ($50 shipped/pair), and that DLS 10" everyone's been recommending from partsexpress.com. I demoed the BIC center & surrounds, and they were quite nice for the price, so I'm confident in them. The Valdus got some good reviews online, and for the money, they seem to be a bargain. Now, I'm in the market for a receiver, and I think I have it narrowed down to the Kenwood VR-507 or VR-509, which I can get wholesale.

As you can see, I'm on a tight budget. I mean, I'm 24 and just purchased my first house, so things are pretty tight. If I had the extra $300, I'd go for that Outlw receiver, but hey....I know I'll catch the upgrade bug soon enough.

Now, for a first timer, are there any recommendtions, tips, critiques on the gear, ect. that I can use before everything gets here & gets installed? I'm having a friend with pro experience install the wires in-wall, and will use the S-Video & digi-coax hookups for the TV and DVD. Anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

Are they really that cheap? I can get pretty much any receiver wholesale, and the Kenwood VR-507 would be about $180 or so, and the VR-509 would be around $220-240. From what I saw, the denon was close to $800 alread on Ebay, the Onkyo was close to $800, and the Yamaha was a little better, but still a bit out of my range. Thanks for the help, though. =)

Jordan

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Jordan,

I recently picked up a Yam HTR-5280 for $485.00.

It has three very, very, nice features. That I would

advise you to look for in your receiver.

1) Each channel as a pre-amp (RCA plug) output, in addition to the speaker outputs.

2) It has a center channel equalizer.

3) The 'All channel DSP' mode is great for parties!

JRS

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Jordan,

One thing you need to keep in mind is: None of the

current crop of receivers will convert video signals!

If you are going to run S-video from the receiver to the TV,

all of the inputs must be S-video at the receiver.

Converters are available from $20.00 & up.

JRS

David Cohn

Grip
The Denon 2802 is online for $550 + shipping. Search for "Denon" and "warranty" for discussions regarding online Denon dealers.

The 2802 has:

6 amplified channels @ 90wpc with low distortion

Component video switching (albeit 'only' 27mhz)

Dolby Pro Logic II (a must have, IMO)

If you can ignore the awful remote I would recommend this receiver. I use it for 20% movies/80% music and am very satisfied.

See, again, it's just not in my budget to spend that much money. Right about now, $500 is out of the question, hence the $200 or so I'm looking to spend on the Kenwood. I've been reading the forum a bit while waiting for my name to be approved, and it seems like the Kenwood 505-509 are the budget receivers of choice around here.

As for needing a converter for the S-Video, I'm a bit confused. Give me some time to catch up on the technology, I learn quick. =) If the receiver has a S-video input, and the TV has the S-video plug, wouldn't that connect on it's own, without the use of a converter?

Again, thanks for the help guys, I DO appreciate it. As far as the speakers are concerned, does anyone have any opinions about those?

Jordan

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Hmmm... I'd spend a few extra $ and go for the Onkyo DS595. It's a very nice receiver for the price and a better quality piece of gear.

BUT, the Kenwoods are OK for the price.

AbelM

Second Unit
Yeah, if you absolutely can't get anythign in the 350 to 400 range, the Kenwood is better than Sony atleast.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Jordan,

What about your VCR, it probably does not have S-Video in or out.

Therefore, if you want to switch your VCR through your

receiver, you will need one or two converters, or you

will have to switch two devices (TV & Receiver).

This is my wife-friendly, simple system:

Video:

IN-TV cable > VCR > Converter > Receiver (via S-Video)

IN-DVD > Receiver (via S-video)

OUT-Receiver > WEGA (via S-Video)

Audio:

IN-VCR > Receiver (analog cables)

IN-DVD > Receiver (optical fiber)

IN-CD > Receiver (optical fiber)

IN-Tape > Receiver (analog cable)

OUT-receiver main > JBL N38s

OUT-(LL)receiver center > WEGA speakers

OUT-(LL)receiver sub > PB10

OUT-receiver rears > generic wall units

The TV is monitor only. All functions are

selected through the receiver.

JRS

Hmmm...The Onkyo 595 is a serious contender right now, I've seen it on Onecall for $450, so I can probably get it wholesale between $350-400. Again, more than I wanted to spend, but maybe I'll save for a few more weeks to get it. I mean, honestly, are those Kenwoods THAT bad of a unit? 95% of the time, I'm going to be using it for movies and cable, with the occasional cd being played.

LOL, now I know how my friends feel when I design car systems for them, and I tell them to wait & save before buying. This sucks. =)

Jordan

AbelM

Second Unit
Hey Jordan, Please keep this topic alive, as I have a list *Trying to find it as we speak* that have NICE recievers for 300!!

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Yes, the Onkyo is a much better piece. Especially considering you're going to use it for TV viewing as well as movies. DPL2 is far better than the older DPL for stereo broadcasts, this is a standard feature on the 595. I don't think the Kenwoods support DPL2. Plus you get higher current amps, much better build quality, great remote (best in it's price class), and superior music capabilities. Again, this is just my humble opinion. :)

RobY

Auditioning
The Kenwood VR-507 has DPL2 and Circle Surround, along with DD5.1 and DTS. So what are you getting with the Onkyo that you aren't getting with the Kenwood?

Oh, and thanks Jim... Shocking, but the cheap Panasonic VCR has no S-video, but I'm not surprised. Hell, the only reason why I purchased it at ALL was to tape hockey games when I play in my dart league. I went for the cheapest I could find, no real regrets, since I was never looking for quality in the first place.

Surprisingly, however, my cable box has S-video and component outputs, so this should make things interesting. The way I see it is (and please, correct me if I'm wrong), I send the S-video out (Cable) through the receiver's S-video in, and then through the receiver's S-video out, which then sends everything to the TV/Monitor's S-Video in port. And with the Optical from the DVD, that'll send the signal from the receiver to the TV through S-video, right? God, this is confusing. =)

Now, with the audio, I can use the "digital audio" plug on my cable box (this is the coaxial, right? It looks like a standard RCA connector, but color coded black) and DVD, and send those into the receiver as well. Or does the fibre-optic cable on the DVD handle audio AND video signals?

Again, please be patient, and thanks SO much for your help. One forum told me I'd NEVER have a decent home theatre unless I spent upwards of a year's salary on my setup. I mean, we're talking 50-100 THOUSAND dollars. Not that I knock those who spend that much, it's just not in my financial plans.

Jordan

Nope, no DLP2 on the Kenwood 507, but the 509 has it. And does anyone use AC3 at all, or was this some failed technology that never caught on?

God, I feel SO out of the loop. =) If anyone needs some CAR audio advice, feel free to ask. =) I'll feel REAL smart then. lol

Jordan

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Jordan,

Current crop of receivers.....

A) Will switch ONLY the S-Video Inputs to the S-video output.

B) Will switch ONLY the composite video inputs to the composite video output.

C) Will switch ONLY the component video inputs to the component video output.

My '97 Saab 9000 has a terrible buzz when the radio is

powered up....any ideas. It seems to follow the either the

cam or turbo speed?? It is present with both CD and radio. Any ideas?

JRS

OK, that Saab has a classic case of either turbo or alternator whine. Is it a stock system, or did you upgrade it? If you upgraded, and added an amp, check to see that the ground from your amp is the same size as your power wire, the RCAs (UTP is best for lower noise in cars, same for the house, right?) are wired on the opposite side of the car as your power lines, ect. Let me know what you have in your car, so I have a better idea of what the problem might be. =)

Jordan

OK, so you're saying I have to do the S-video from the cable, optical from the DVD, and component from the VCR, and then do the S-video from the receiver to the TV, and component from the receiver to the TV for the VCR? There's no TOS-link on the TV, so the DVD goes through which, the S-video along with the cable, or a seperate component video on a seperate video input?

Jordan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks