What's new

Green Hue in Bottom Right Corner of 42" Sony Grand Wega (1 Viewer)

Travis R.

Agent
I recently bumped a similar post regarding this phenomenon and I was wondering if anybody who has one has had this problem and if they did what did they do to resolve it.

Details. When there is a total black screen there is a Green Hue in the Bottom Right corner of the Screen. The TV is only a Month old and the discolourization has recently developed over the past week. I am contacting my dealer but would like some imput if anybody has any.

Thanks
Travis

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Travis:

Do you have your set near any type strong magnet field? Also, it almost sounds like maybe your green gun is out of convergence with the red and the blue. Have you tried using AVIA or DVE putting a crosshatch pattern to see if you have the same problem in the lower right hand corner of the screen?

Parker

Travis R.

Agent
Parker:

My main speakers are 3ft away from the side of the TV bilateraly. I have a magnetically shielded centre speaker infront of the TV but I've been told that that shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't tried using the AVIA or DVE to see if I have a problem with the lower right corner. Will these devices lead to a cure of the problem or just confirm that the TV is not functioning properly? Also where can one purchase the AVIA or DVE.

The instruction manual for the TV did not mention any warnings regarding magnetic fields affecting the TV performance. Has there been a history of speakers affecting the image on rear projector LCD TV's?

Travis.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Travis go over to the AVS forum and pull up old threads on the Sony's during ummmm I think the GWII release or end of GWI cycle.

There was talk of a "green ghost" appearing in some units. Sorry ...I can't even remember what the consensus was on what caused the phenomena! Seems like on at least one of the affected units there was dust inside ? from the factory? or a misalined screen ...sorry can't pull up from memory what caused it!

Hate to be so vague, its been at least a year since I read about that issue. Next couple of days I will try to go over there and find the thread, if I can remember my password!

Edit: Travis found one link regarding your topic, can't see your description above since I'm already in edit. This is a 2004 link the older thread I remember called it the green ghost. Appears in the thread some worries concerning your light engine (horror)...or if you read the thread through could be the dust I spoke of remembering. Trying to find one of the other current threads on it now. Will post back if I do. Good luck!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=2

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Travis:

You can get the AVIA or DVE disc online or in most electronic stores.

Since the TV is only a month old I would take it into the shop and let the tech guys work on it under warranty. Sounds to me like a covergence issue but it maybe something as Mary has alluded to that is part of the GWII and III line.

Parker

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I can basically answer your question right here and now. This is what many people call an "accepted flaw" in the LCD Projection tvs. :frowning: Unfortunately it's present in some form or another in almost all LCD Projection tvs.

I just bought the Sony XBR950 LCD Projection and i've got a green hue in one corner. :frowning: I'm getting the set exchanged today so i'll see what happens. I've already told my salesman that if the new set has the same problem it's going right back to him and i'm getting a plasma.

Travis R.

Agent
Thanks Parker, Mary M S and Danny. I am contacting dealer ASAP and I'm probably going to get the AVIA disc to check the tv as described above. I'm also going to contact Sony Canada and see what they have to say. It appears it can be a blue or even a purple 'ghost' at times.

I am quite disturbed that this appears to be more pandemic then I thought. I will post my journey as it evolves. TBC.

Travis

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I exchanged my XBR950 for a new one last night and sure enough the new one has got a slight greenish hue to a small portion of the screen. :frowning:

I must say though that this time it's far more subtle than the last one. In fact, from my brief time last night it appears this issue is only evident on light blue scenes. I'm going to have to spend more time tonight with it but it appears to be a very small issue so overall i'm quite happy with this new set. It's not perfect but it's really close.

The fact remains though that LCD Projections almost always have some form of this problem. It's just an accepted flaw in the technology I guess. :frowning: It's not easy to hear that when you just paid $5000 for that flawed technology but it's a fact. In the end you just have to remember that all tvs have some negatives related to that particular technology. So, it's just a matter of deciding what flaws you can accept and then finding a set that shows those flaws as seamlessly as possible.

Danny

Travis R.

Agent
Update on my Green Ghost. I contacted my dealer and they set me up with the T.V. repair guys. I contacted them and they set up a time to come by and see the T.V.

The repair man came in identified the Green Ghost wrote down the serial number and told me that the Green Ghost is an accepted flaw in the Manufacturing Plant. The ghost is caused by a smear or dust inside the "engine" of the TV that occurs at the Manufaturing Plant. The reason it is an accepted flaw he told me is that most people don't complain about it or don't see it at all.

The end result is that he is ordering a new "engine" which is basically the screen and all the goodies inside the panel. They will come back and replace it in my house so there is no need to pack it up. The cost of the "engine" he told me is $2000.00 which is covered by the standard 1 year warranty but I am now considering the extended warranty.

My advice is don't settle for this 'GHOSTING' it is a known flaw of the TV and it is repairable. Of course I run the risk of the next "engine" having the same thing but at least I know that it is replaceable and covered by the warranty.

Thanks to all those above who left me links and advice.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks