What's new

GREAT STAGE MUSICALS THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN FILMED. (1 Viewer)

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
There have been many memorable stage musicals that have never been filmed. Some that I would love to see filmed are:
ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY (A much loved musical when I saw it on Broadway many decades ago). CARNIVAL ( the musical remake of the classic film LILI). IRMA LA DOUCE .Yes, it was filmed by Billy Wilder but it was devoid of all the great musical songs. PIPPIN; NEWSIES; SUNSET BOULEVARD - a much underrated musical. There must be dozens more musicals that are crying out to be filmed. Maybe the problem is that Hollywood just can't seem to get it right when they film musicals. Most ,if not all, of the ones in recent years were very disappointing. Just look at the mess that they made with LES MISERABLES ; PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and THE JERSEY BOYS as a few examples.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Les Miserables was excellent. Best film released that year imo. Newsies was a film before it was a musical.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Pippin.
This show was filmed off stage a few decades ago and was on Laserdisc and DVD(VCI) with Ben Vereen in the lead.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Pippin.
This show was filmed off stage a few decades ago and was on Laserdisc and DVD(VCI) with Ben Vereen in the lead.

This was actually filmed in Hamilton Ontario where we live about one hour from Toronto. Hamilton Place, the venu, was fairly new at the time and state of the art. We bought tickets to what we thought was a touring show, and found that it was a taping.
I remember Bob Fossy walking in the auditorium watching as different aspects were filmed. Lights were blinding, and we were asked to remain for retakes of certain songs so the acoustics would stay the same.
Ironically enough, I have never liked the show very much. I much prefer more traditional formats, and am not fond of shows that are staged "through the medium of Vaudville or Burlesque"

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
There have been many memorable stage musicals that have never been filmed. Some that I would love to see filmed are:
ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY (A much loved musical when I saw it on Broadway many decades ago). CARNIVAL ( the musical remake of the classic film LILI). IRMA LA DOUCE .Yes, it was filmed by Billy Wilder but it was devoid of all the great musical songs. PIPPIN; NEWSIES; SUNSET BOULEVARD - a much underrated musical. There must be dozens more musicals that are crying out to be filmed. Maybe the problem is that Hollywood just can't seem to get it right when they film musicals. Most ,if not all, of the ones in recent years were very disappointing. Just look at the mess that they made with LES MISERABLES ; PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and THE JERSEY BOYS as a few examples.

Newsies

Was a movie before it went to the stage ...

In all fairness I saw it on it's original release in a theater projected on a screen :D

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I also thought the Les Mis movie was really good, I even enjoy listening to the soundtrack. I also enjoyed the Phantom of the Opera movie, thought it was a good representation of the stage show. I do agree that some of the performances were weak but, I still enjoy the movie. Other recent film adaptations I enjoyed were Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods.

Anyway, 2 stage shows I'd love to see on the big screen are Miss Saigon and Wicked. There have been rumors for both through the years but nothing ever seems to happen.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Miss Saigon ( filmed recently on stage) looks like a film and is spectacular!
I doubt a film version could be better.
It is on Blu Ray and it is all regions...available from the UK.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
WICKED will definitely happen. With MISS SAIGON returning to Broadway, maybe. (Also maybe to the long-planned CATS adaptation.)

As for recent and ongoing shows: I don't really see movies in THE BOOK OF MORMON and IN THE HEIGHTS, though a film of the latter has been mooted. (I think it's a more intriguing possibility for a live TV musical, but lacks the name-brand recognition except for creator and co-star Lin-Manuel Miranda.) There's not much "movie" in HAMILTON, either, but an attempt will be made. PIPPIN doesn't strike me as terribly cinematic, either; it needs that stage magic, and had it in spades in its recent revival.

An excellent musical could be made from LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, but that may have been done to death with the non-musical French films and THE BIRDCAGE. Last year's revival of SHE LOVES ME felt "camera-ready." Same with ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. There's certainly a better movie in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. Other remakes that could work: GYPSY (long discussed) and A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM.

Fosse's CABARET movie is a classic, but the 90s take on the material might adapt well.

I'd love to see a movie of Cy Coleman's last musical, THE LIFE. Terrific score but a pipe dream I know. (I'd take a concert version--is there one?)

The problem with so many recent musicals is that they were movies that feel barely adapted at the book level or movies that had a strong musical element to begin with. But I can see a good little movie in the fine musical of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA. And the lovingly spoofed musical of XANADU is so much fun I'd like to see it find a larger audience on film, even as a filmed stage show and not a full-fledged movie.

(And I like the PHANTOM movie, except for its star, alas. But designed to the eyeteeth, as it must be.)

Last edited:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I also thought the Les Mis movie was really good, I even enjoy listening to the soundtrack. I also enjoyed the Phantom of the Opera movie, thought it was a good representation of the stage show. I do agree that some of the performances were weak but, I still enjoy the movie. Other recent film adaptations I enjoyed were Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods.

Anyway, 2 stage shows I'd love to see on the big screen are Miss Saigon and Wicked. There have been rumors for both through the years but nothing ever seems to happen.

The recent West-End production of MISS SAIGON was filmed like it was a movie. Absolutely stunning production in every way. It would be impossible to better it as a film. The U.K. Bluray is zone free if you are interested in buying a copy.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
WICKED will definitely happen. With MISS SAIGON returning to Broadway, maybe. (Also maybe to the long-planned CATS adaptation.)

As for recent and ongoing shows: I don't really see movies in THE BOOK OF MORMON and IN THE HEIGHTS, though a film of the latter has been mooted. (I think it's a more intriguing possibility for a live TV musical, but lacks the name-brand recognition except for creator and co-star Lin-Manuel Miranda.) There's not much "movie" in HAMILTON, either, but an attempt will be made. PIPPIN doesn't strike me as terribly cinematic, either; it needs that stage magic, and had it in spades in its recent revival.

An excellent musical could be made from LA CAGE AUX FOLLES, but that may have been done to death with the non-musical French films and THE BIRDCAGE. Last year's revival of SHE LOVES ME felt "camera-ready." Same with ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. There's certainly a better movie in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC. Other remakes that could work: GYPSY (long discussed) and A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM.

Fosse's CABARET movie is a classic, but the 90s take on the material might adapt well.

I'd love to see a movie of Cy Coleman's last musical, THE LIFE. Terrific score but a pipe dream I know. (I'd take a concert version--is there one?)

The problem with so many recent musicals is that they were movies that feel barely adapted at the book level or movies that had a strong musical element to begin with. But I can see a good little movie in the fine musical of THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA. And the lovingly spoofed musical of XANADU is so much fun I'd like to see it find a larger audience on film, even as a filmed stage show and not a full-fledged movie.

(And I like the PHANTOM movie, except for its star, alas. But designed to the eyeteeth, as it must be.)

CATS was filmed in London many years ago with John Mills in a cameo. It has been on bluray for many years.BOMBAY DREAMS has some great music.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
The reality is musicals are expensive to make and only appeal to a select audience (me included). There are more filmed stage shows coming down the pipeline as the costs aren't as high. (Although, apparently, it is easier/cheaper to do so in London due to union costs.) The stage production of NEWSIES (with Jeremy Jordan) was recently filmed in LA for a special upcoming theatrical showing (and possible Blu-ray release). The stage version of GYPSY, with Imelda Staunton, recently aired on PBS and was released on Blu-ray. It wouldn't surprise me if they film the semi-staged version of SUNSET BOULEVARD with Glenn Close since a film is unlikely to happen. They did live stream the recent production of SHE LOVES ME and it is available online in HD. (Perhaps a Blu-ray in the future?) I also like, ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, but the reality is it would be a costly period piece and the music - a take off on operettas - is not going to appeal to a wide enough audience. We just have to learn to take our little musical crumbs where we can get them. As a by the by, the filmed stage version of BILLY ELLIOTT is very good, especially the young boy who plays Billy, and the version of COMPANY with Neil Patrick Harris is great!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I wish there was more of an opportunity to see these in Canada! Buying discs is the only option, since our theatre chains rarely show them, and unless it is on PBS they are unavailable here.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
In Australia live shows, mostly from the WestEnd in the UK, are shown in cinemas 2 or 3 times a week.They are very popular and unfortunately, expensive to see. Numerous operas ,ballets and dramatic shows are shown on a regular basis. THE WAR HORSE was a recent show seen. Even museum and art gallery tours also shown on rare occasions.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I liked everything about the Les Miz movie except the fact that they sang it live on set. WTF were they thinking???

I remember seeing The Life! Well, I don't remember much about it. I do have the cast CD somewhere. I think my sister might have worked on it, or been involved (professionally) with someone in it.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I loved the film of Les Miz. except for Hugh Jackman's voice. He has never been a great singer, but I thought he made a terrible mess here. We called him Mr. Vibrato. He seemed to be constantly reaching for notes out of his range and was particularly hard to take especially after seeing Colm Wilkinson in the part.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I loved the film of Les Miz. except for Hugh Jackman's voice. He has never been a great singer, but I thought he made a terrible mess here. We called him Mr. Vibrato. He seemed to be constantly reaching for notes out of his range and was particularly hard to take especially after seeing Colm Wilkinson in the part.

HUGH JACKMAN was superb in OKLAHOMA. Les Mis just didn't move me like it did on stage. Russell Crowe was also badly miscast as he is not a singer. Maybe we will eventually get to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's THE WIZARD OF OZ on film as it was great success in the West -End in London. Brilliant production in every way. The musical version of GONE WITH THE WIND was also much underrated. Unfortunately it flopped everywhere. No Broadway musical ever bored me as much as the original production of NINE did. I was however, very impressed with the film. I agree with Glennf -the fllmed stage show of BILLY ELLIOT was superb.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
MOST of the cast of Lez Miz were not singers. Hearing them sing live was one of the reasons I loved the film. The stage version is by far the best musical I have seen on Broadway.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
HUGH JACKMAN was superb in OKLAHOMA. Les Mis just didn't move me like it did on stage. Russell Crowe was also badly miscast as he is not a singer. Maybe we will eventually get to see Andrew Lloyd Webber's THE WIZARD OF OZ on film as it was great success in the West -End in London. Brilliant production in every way. The musical version of GONE WITH THE WIND was also much underrated. Unfortunately it flopped everywhere. No Broadway musical ever bored me as much as the original production of NINE did. I was however, very impressed with the film. I agree with Glennf -the fllmed stage show of BILLY ELLIOT was superb.

Boy it is amazing how different people can be. We absolutely loved 9. We used to go to New York and see 4 or 5 musicals (today you would need to take out a second mortgage!). That year of everything we saw, 9 was our favourite.
After hearing about the movie version for about a year and really looking forward to it, we were bitterly disappointed. All our favorite songs we had heard over and over on the 2 CD cast recording were either missing or severely truncated. The cast was good, but what a mess!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks