What's new

Great forgotten albums: Seatrain's S/T (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Seatrain was formed from the remnents of The 60's group The Blues Project and with the addition of Richard Greene on totally E-lectric fiddle. Richard Greene, whom many may remember from Red, White & Bluegrass fame was what set them apart from the field. The other musicans are good but Richard Greene is a cut above them.

Their first Capitol Records album, S/T, stands alone as their great achievement. Their next album Marblehead Messenger didn't have the writing to even half-way equal the original. They made an album or two after Greene left in the mid-70's that were a waste of time. Their first Capitol album is one that every folk/kuntry/bluegrass-rock fan should give a listen to.

It starts off with the best cover of I'M WILLIN' I've ever heard. The fiddle plays as both a lead and rhytmn instrument on this one. The second tune, SONG OF JOB, is my favourtite. It's a little morality thingy based loosely on the bibical story of Job. I love the way the organ and fiddle sound on this one.

Several of their tunes embrace enviornmentalism, BROKEN MORNING and OUT WHERE THE HILLS. When listening to Seatrain you hear the guitar player and he's not bad but it's the fiddle that is the lead instrument.

13 QUESTIONS was an actual radio hit, least ways it made the top 40 for a few weeks. It starts out with a fiddle riff. Mr. Greene gave the fiddle an almost guitar-like quality at times. Out in the middle, where one might expect the guitar solo to be, yeah, you quessed it, there's a fiddle solo.

The album has two purely bluegrass tracks. SALLY GOODIN' is real nice, but O.B.S. (Orange Blossom Special) is off the chart! I've yet to hear it played better and every fiddler plays it. The vocalist sings the song but you hardly notice him. The fiddle part is so riveting.

I saw Seatrain play live at C.W. Post College on Long Island one snowy night in the early 70's and I've been a fan ever since. I wish they'd left behind a few other great albums but they didn't. Many groups come and go and don't leave anything of lasting value behind, atleast Seatrain left us one gem.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I remember "13 Questions" vividly, it did quite well on the Top 40 station in Shreveport when I was growing up. This was when every town had their own Top 40 which actually reflected what people in that town wanted to hear, and even more amazingly, consisted of a full 40 songs!

Looks like this one is only available currently as a double CD paired with "Marblehead Messenger" (according to Amazon).

Charlie-W

Grip
Seatrain's first album is one of my favorites- I pull it out at least once a year, and it never gets old. That has to be high on the list of "1 GOOD Album" groups. Another one that comes to mind is Crazy Horse's first album (the one with the laughing horse on the cover). Pretty much every song is a winner. Their later ones were barely listenable.

-Charlie

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Craig, I have the One Way Records release of Seatrain's S/T and the BGO Records set that also has Marblehead Messenger. I'd be hard pressed to say one sounds better than the other. I also have the LP too but it's seen it's better days come and go.

All I can say is order now!:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Charlie, I was going to suggest Crazy Horse's S/T at a later date in a thread. I quess I will anyway. When Ry Cooder and Nils Lofgren left Crazy Horse, they had to go back to being Neil's band. They had no talented frontman then! That is a brilliant album though. I have it on vinyl & CD.:)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
OK, I have two testimonials that are very affirmative. Who out there wants to try Seatrain? It doesn't sound dated, a bit. It was really well recorded for it's day and age too. This is the real deal!

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks