What's new

Great deal on Sound Dynamics RTS-5 floorstanding speakers $199.00 pr. free shipping (1 Viewer)

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Audio Advisor is clearing out these terrific floorstanders . Originally $450 pr. now $199 free shipping . These babies weigh 34 lbs each. I just ordered a pair for my bedroom . I have RTS-3's in my office and R-515's ,THC-2 center channel and THR-BP1 bipolar surrounds in my living room. Sound Dynamics is a division of Audio Products International. The same Canadian company that makes Energy, Mirage and Athena speakers . They make their speakers totally in house from cabinets to drivers to crossovers Etc. I heard the rumour is the Sound Dynamics brand is to be phased out and replaced by the newer Athena line . Too bad if true, they have made some terrific value speakers over the years.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Thier Floorstanders weigh 34 pounds each? That's it?

My Bookshelf surrounds weigh 29... My mains are 65 pounds
each. 34 is pretty light weight for a "Floor stander"

JIMHO though..

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
They are only 2 ways and the baby of the line , just a tick over 30" tall . I was more commenting on the fact that Audio advisor is throwing in free shipping on a pair of speakers weighing over 70lbs boxed. Yes these are small speakers , not towers. Still very solid mdf cabinets braced and stuffed with fiberglass , non parrallel sides. Sound Dynamics was always the value line. Weight is not always a guarantee of good sound . Just throwing out a heads up for anyone on a tight budget lokking for a deal. My RTS-3 bookshelves' are light also but read the reviews on this small speaker.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris,

Your heads up is appreciated I in no way was doubting the
fact that they are or may be great speakers. I was just
stating that 30Lbs is light for a Floor Standing speaker.

Generally speaking, materials cost money, the more materials
used the more costly the product becomes for the company to
manufacture. A heavy speaker (assuming the weight is from
raw materials and not from a brick glued in the bottom)to me
indicates a well fabricated enclosure. Of course that in no
way reflects what drivers and crossover components are used.

It seems pointless to spend the money to build a heavy enclosure
and then fill them with sub standard drivers and crossover
componentry.

Anyway... Thanks for the heads up on the good deal.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Brett, I hear you , but I gotta disagree with your logic, no offense. Heavy speaker does not guarantee good speaker or parts quality . Thiel CS 1.6 floorstanders , 2" thick front baffle, 1" thickness remaining cabinet walls , 35" height. $2390.00 pr. price tag. Fred Manteghian , Stereophile Guide to Home Theater reviewer and HTF member gave them a rave review in the November issue. Weight 38lbs. ea. I'd take four of these "lightweights" in my system anytime.( reality check I'm buying the RTS 5's) Talented designers and hours spent voicing a speaker "outweigh" the sheer mass of a transducer. I will continue to let my ears , favorable reviews and personal experience with a manufacturer influence my speaker selection and leave my bath scale at home :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Chris,
I do agree with you on what you just wrote whole heartedly.
I am not saying pure weight alone equals a great speaker.
Heck like I said, the best enclosure in the world doesn't
mean much if it is filled with the wrong drivers and crossover.
:)
As for the weight of the Thiels and the RTS 5's they are
half the depth of my 9's and thus half the weight. Dimensions
come into play on the weight as well. Considering the dimensions
of the 5's they are heavy for thier size.
Anyway.. Congrats on a good deal! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks