What's new
World Wide Stereo

Got all the sub parts, need help with wiring the Tempest! (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
So yeah, before I go and do something stupid, I want to confirm which way is the right way to wire my Tempest to the PE250W amp. Is it like this diagram, or is it like this diagram. Yes, yes, newb question that I should be able to figure out myself, but with my luck lately, I'm not taking any chances. Just need some people to tell me which way to do it, and I should have the sub up and running.

Oh, lastly...I don't have a terminal input cup yet, so can I hook up the sub to the amp using just speaker wire?

TIA...hopefully I can get this thing thumping soon, but I have a nagging suspicion that I'm missing something.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
okay, my current thinking is method 2, and then to connect the sub to the amp, it's just simply wiring the leads from the pos to pos on the sub, and the neg to the neg.

man I'm tired...not from thinking, mind you :)

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
I'll confirm on the second way. The second way will run the speaker at 4ohms. The first way will run it at 16ohms. 4ohms is the way to go.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I wired mine like your diagram #2 which I believe is a parallel circuit of both VCs resulting in a 4 ohm load.

From Adire's site:
PARAM VALUE PARAM VALUE
Re 3.50 ohms Le 2.9 mH
Qms 6.7 Mms 195 grams
Qes 0.40 Cms 0.34 mm/N
Qts 0.38 Rms 3.5 N*s/m
Fs 18.8 Hz Sd 779 cm^2
Vas 317 liters BL 14.2
Xmax 16.4 mm one way EBP 47
SPL 89.1 dB @ 1W/1m No 0.51%
Pmax 400W per voice coil; 750W total to the driver

Note that all specs are taken with the voice coils in parallel.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input guys, here's how I have it wired:

http://www.umsing.com/pix/displayima...tup&cat=&pos=1

Now, this is what I was wondering about as well...can I take the wire leading from the pos/neg terminals of the sub and connect them directly to the pos/neg wire on teh bottom of the amp? As follows...

http://www.umsing.com/pix/displayima...tup&cat=&pos=0

If I can indeed do it that way, I have it all set up and ready to go...just have to get the wiring connected and screw the Tempest in and pop a DVD in.

Otherwise, I wait. :) :frowning:

edit: have to resize pics, gimme a second...if you want to see them full sized, go here and here.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, because the wires are delivering the current to the driver and back to the amp via the positive and negative leads. Anything in between (connector plates) is just for ease of connectivity and aethestics.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Alrighty then...I assumed that I was right and wired everything up...the Tempest is just sitting on it's magnet right now, I wanted to see if there was any movement (not to mention smoke...), but yeah, it was vibrating...it wasn't throwing the cone back and forth, but I don't really need to see that to know that it's working right?

Next step is just to screw it into the enclosure...freaky.

But just to check, right now with everything wired up and connected to the receiver via the amp, how much action should there be on the sub?

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
hmmmm...lastly...what type of screws did you use? Someone suggested 2" drywall screws, which is what I'm using...but man is it a bitch getting em in there. no breaking off heads yet tho.

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
Looks good! and so do your friends:)
BTW is that Pensicola(spelling?)air museum?

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
dunno the name, but it was the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. :)

Any responses on type of screws used?

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i seccond the cute friends. just use a powerdrill dont for get to cauck the hole you drill to feed the wire throhg. just a little dab will do.

GeoffM

Agent
I know it's late and I'm more then just a little tired but ... I thought if you had two 2ohm VC's and wired them in series it would be a 4ohm load and if you wired them in parallel it would be a 1 ohm load??? for me it looks like in his diagram they are in parallel

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator

I've used #8x32 t-nut/philips head machine screws on mine. In actuality, you do not really need to use t-nuts they are an overkill imo. Coarce grain dry wall screws will do fine so long as you pre drill the holes.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
For #8 coarse thread screws, use a 1/8" or 5/64" pilot hole. The screw should not be hard to install.

Pete

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
IMO it is better to use #8 wood screws just long enough to go through the wood. use a drill bit to make a pilot hole:the bit's diameter will equal the shanks size(hold the screw up and put a drill bit behind it so that you just see the drill bit,the threads will still show through)
the reason for wood screws is that i've had too many drywall screws snap off! buy the panhead type.:)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
heh...interesting. I actually screwed the whole thing in with the drywall screws yesterday...seems to be a good fit, but who knows if there's any air leakage. I should've used some weather stripping or caulk, but I know I'll be building another enclosure in the future, so I didn't want the Tempest all messed up.

One last question, now that it's up and running...how does one determine what setting you want the phase of the subwoofer to be?

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
do a fr sweep from 100- around 40-60 hz if you have no dips everything is fine if you have a dip try ajusting the phase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks