What's new

Gosford Park (2001) coming from Arrow (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
About time we had a decent Blu-ray of this film.
NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Gosford Park (Blu-ray)
When Sir William is found murdered in the library, everyone – and their servants – becomes a suspect.
Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: https://arrowfilms.com/product-detai…u–ray/FCD1825
US pre-order links coming soon!
Release dates: 26 November
TEA AT FOUR. DINNER AT EIGHT. MURDER AT MIDNIGHT.
In 2001, Robert Altman (MASH, The Long Goodbye) took the unexpected step into Agatha Christie territory with Gosford Park, a murder-mystery whodunit set in an English country house starring a host of British acting greats and with an Oscar-winning screenplay by Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes. It would become a huge success with audiences and critics alike.
Set in 1932, the action unfolds during a weekend shooting party hosted by Sir William McArdle (Alan Bates), and his wife Lady Sylvia (Kristin Scott Thomas) at his...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
About time we had a decent Blu-ray of this film.

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Gosford Park (Blu-ray)

When Sir William is found murdered in the library, everyone – and their servants – becomes a suspect.

Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: https://arrowfilms.com/product-detai...u--ray/FCD1825

In 2001, Robert Altman (MASH, The Long Goodbye) took the unexpected step into Agatha Christie territory with Gosford Park, a murder-mystery whodunit set in an English country house starring a host of British acting greats and with an Oscar-winning screenplay by Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes. It would become a huge success with audiences and critics alike.

Set in 1932, the action unfolds during a weekend shooting party hosted by Sir William McArdle (Alan Bates), and his wife Lady Sylvia (Kristin Scott Thomas) at his estate, Gosford Park. Among the guests are friends, relatives, the actor and composer Ivor Novello (Jeremy Northam), and an American film producer (Bob Balaban). When Sir William is found murdered in the library, everyone – and their servants – becomes a suspect.

Also starring Charles Dance, Michael Gambon, Richard E. Grant, Helen Mirren, Clive Owen, Maggie Smith, Emily Watson and many more, Altman produced another masterpiece deserving to be ranked alongside Nashville and Short Cuts as one his finest forays into ensemble drama.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new 2K restoration from a 4K scan, carried out by Arrow films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director of photography Andrew Dunn
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Audio commentary by director Robert Altman, production designer Stephen Altman and producer David Levy
• Audio commentary by writer-producer Julian Fellowes
• Brand-new audio commentary by critics Geoff Andrew and David Thompson (author of Altman on Altman)
• Introduction by critic Geoff Andrew
• Brand new cast and crew interviews recorded exclusively for this release
• The Making of Gosford Park archive featurette
• Keeping Gosford Park Authentic archive featurette
• Q&A Session with Altman and the cast
• Fifteen deleted scenes with optional Altman commentary
• Trailer
• Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Matthew Griffin

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic Sheila O’Malley and an archive interview with Robert Altman

YES!! :dance:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm all over this one. One of my favourite films ever!

25fdbbe4-c600-462e-940d-0215313b2862.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm all over this one. One of my favourite films ever!

View attachment 48467
I so agree. It's like Altman sat me down, asked me what kind of film I'd like him to make, and then he did it. One of my all-time favorite murder mysteries, and with a cast only previous Agatha Christie adaptations could support. This one is completely original but worthy of the great lady herself.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Figures. I just bought the Canadian blu-ray a few months back. Sounds like the restoration will likely be an improvement so I'll buy it again. Love this film.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
A must. This was the last film amy Dad and I saw together in an old restored moviehouse in our suburbs(free tickets we won) before he had his first stroke and ultimately spent 18 months before he passed. We were up front, almost, and the screen looked so big I thought I could drive a big truck easily thru it. It was a great night.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Will it be Region free? I have the Canadian Blu, will it be better?

It doesn't matter, Arrow are releasing it on both sides of the Atlantic, so no need to import, & a new DOP approved transfer, I'd be shocked if it wasn't better. I was going to buy the German September release (probable the same as the Canadian), but that's old news now. This looks like a very worthy release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The great array of bonus material will make the double dip worth it for me.

BTW, this film introduced the songs of Ivor Novello to me. As crooned sweetly and movingly by Jeremy Northam (with occasional hilariously acerbic comments from the irrepressible Maggie Smith), the songs and the background score for the film made purchasing the soundtrack on CD a must, too.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
It doesn't matter, Arrow are releasing it on both sides of the Atlantic, so no need to import, & a new DOP approved transfer, I'd be shocked if it wasn't better. I was going to buy the German September release (probable the same as the Canadian), but that's old news now. This looks like a very worthy release.
Thanks! Then I’ll be getting it!

Reactions: PMF

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I am pretty sure the UK DVD was 1.85 while the original ratio was 2.35 on prints.
Also this was shot in Super 35.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Will it be Region free? I have the Canadian Blu, will it be better?
I have the Candian Blu-ray as well. The picture quality is rather "meh," and it is absent bonus content that was on the region 1 DVD, including the commentary tracks.

One thing to note, while Arrow is releasing this on both sides of the Atlantic, they do note the that the UK disc is Zone B, so we will have to wait for the Zone A (US) Arrow release.

While I was holding out for a Criterion to go with my other Altman films on Blu-ray, it really comes down to a quality release, which this Arrow appears to be. It is going to be wonderful to watch over the winter holidays!

Last edited:

JWC1969

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Absolutely terrific news; truly a classic. With the success of Downton Abbey, surprised this didn't happen earlier but beggars can't be choosers. Now all we need is a proper Blu-ray of Stanley Tucci's Big Night!

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
M*A*S*H, Nashville and Gosford Park.
It fascinates me as to how many Robert Altman films had led to so many television series;
perhaps more than any other director living or passed.

Last edited:

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr

Pre-order in the UK via Arrow: https://arrowfilms.com/product-detai...u--ray/FCD1825

Set in 1932, the action unfolds during a weekend shooting party hosted by Sir William McArdle (Alan Bates), and his wife Lady Sylvia (Kristin Scott Thomas) at his estate, Gosford Park. Among the guests are friends, relatives, the actor and composer Ivor Novello (Jeremy Northam), and an American film producer (Bob Balaban). When Sir William is found murdered in the library, everyone – and their servants – becomes a suspect.

Also starring Charles Dance, Michael Gambon, Richard E. Grant, Helen Mirren, Clive Owen, Maggie Smith, Emily Watson and many more, Altman produced another masterpiece deserving to be ranked alongside Nashville and Short Cuts as one his finest forays into ensemble drama.

Actually, Michael Gambon plays Sir William McCordle. Alan Bates plays the butler, Mr. Jennings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks