What's new

Goofy explorer problem (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
This just started happening a few minutes ago.....

I use Windows Explorer to find and organize files constantly.
I open the program a few minutes ago and click a folder to explore and the program shuts down.
Tried it again with another folder. Same thing.

Every time I open Windows Explorer and attempt to open any folder, whether in the explorer window, or on the folder tree, the windows closes down. Explorer itself doesn't shut down, but the window closes by itself.

If I open the My Documents folder via desktop shortcut, I can browse anywhere. Even open the folder tree and do as I wish, but whenever I use WE, it won't cooperate.

Any idea what could be causing this? I've made no changes to the system today, so it's baffling me.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
How are you opening Windows Explorer?

The most direct way is to right-click on My Computer and choose Explorer.

My Computer and the shortcut for Windows Explorer have separate settings, so it might be worth resetting the settings in one or the other. Tool >> Folder Options >> View >> Reset All Folders.

However, I can smell a Windows reinstall on the horizon...

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
As I rule I open it by a shortcut I have on the taskbar. I created this by going to start/programs/accessories/windows explorer and creating a shortcut for that and dragging it to the taskbar.
That's always worked for me.

This happens when I use the shortcut, go the long way through the start menu, or by right clicking computer. Doesn't matter.
Although, if I open My Computer and click the folders button, I can browse away from there.

Yeah, it is getting close to time for a reinstall. I try to do that every year, and I'm over this year by about a month :D

Guess I've gotta stop putting it off and get my tail into gear. Just wondered if there was a fix for this.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I get the same results (window closes) that way too. Anything that links to the windows explorer program does the same thing.
But if it simply uses the explorer engine....my computer, my documents, network neighborhood....any of those work fine.
Only similarity I see is that none of the ones that work load with the folder tree displaying. I have to manually display the folder tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks