What's new
World Wide Stereo

Good Speakers for Rock, <= $1500 (1 Viewer)

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
the company has quite a long history in the business and a rather impressive testing facility not to mention some fairly bright individuals who've forgotten more about acoustics than others can hope to remember.
I don't see why this is relevant? But I'll bight. If JBL has such incredible resources, why are they releasing substandard products?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

In your price range, I would suggest you look at the Ascend Acoustics speakers.

http://ascendacoustics.com/

They are very detailed and accurate without being harsh in the treble, which based off of your comments about Axioms, is something you are adverse to. At the same time, they are not at all a laid back speaker and are great at capturing the immediacy and drive of rock beats.

They have a remarkably flat response (+/-2 dB) through most of their range and have a very clean midrange. They don't play very low, mid-60Hz or so, but what bass they do play is very accurate and not at all muddy. Plus, if you are going to supplement with a sub anyway, shouldn't be an issue.

I listen to all kinds of music, but mostly rock and have been very happy with my 5.1 setup. After purchasing them, took them to a store to compare them against the Paradigms, B&Ws, Dynaudios and couldn't find anything under $1000/pr that came close to rivaling them. Just for reference, like Carlo, I demoed this speakers with real rock -- Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, U2, etc. -- not the pop stuff.

Reviewers at a number of well-respected publications gave them very high marks:

http://ascendacoustics.com/Main/Revi...dReprint.2.pdf
http://ascendacoustics.com/Main/Revi...endreprint.pdf

A 5.1 setup consisting of 5 CBM-170s is $748. Something like $150 more if you want the CMT-340c dedicated center. You could even purchase a Hsu VTF-3 which, from what I hear is fairly comparable to the SVS offerings, from them as part of a package deal. That way, you get your entire 5.1 from a single source for around $1600 total.

If you are wary of buying online, buy one pair of CBM-170s first and do what I did: compare them to speakers available at local stores. If you don't like them, return them w/in 30 days and only be out ~$20 in shipping. If you do like them, purchase the rest of the 5.1 within 45 days and still be able to take advantage of the package pricing.

Victor

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, thanks for all the great responses, guys! My audition list is a lot broader now. I'm going to be looking at used/new PSB Stratus Silveri's/Bronze, Totem Model 1's, MB Quart's, and Dali's. Although, I am most excited about PSB and the MB Quart's.
Try the Klipsch speakers, but be careful since they may sound unpleasant
Yeah, Klipsch's have always sounded too in-your-face, bordering on fatiguing, to me.

Chung made a good point about getting high end bookshelves + SVS vs. floorstanders + SVS. It makes sense...I don't REALLY need the bass extension of floorstanders if I'm going with a sick sub like SVS...however, I'd have to buy a second pair of stands, and that can add up pretty quick. It seems like a huge waste to spend $400-500 on stands when my first speaker system cost about that much, total. :frowning: Oh well. What are your opinions on having higher-end bookshelves instead of floorstanders, as far as reproducing rock goes?

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
As long as you supplement the bookshelves with a good, well-damped subwoofer, I actually prefer bookshelves mated with a sub over floorstanders. Purchasing floorstanders which can reproduce good bass down to the mid- to low 20s is tough and the equipment necessary to drive such floorstanders is usually a pricy proposition.

For the same price and often substantially less, you can get an outstanding bookshelf and sub setup which will most likely play lower and cleaner than all but the most accomplished full-range speakers. As for the cost of speaker stands, there are some very good stands for less than $100/pr if you look in the right places.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well I think you're missing that the numbers that Phil posted came from a review (which I haven't read) and I think they arbitrarily chose those two frequencies to illustrate the fairly flat response in the mid-bass to upper mid-range. JBL lists for this particular product the following: Frequency Response (–3dB): 75Hz – 20kHz . That would suggest that it does have energy up there.

Arbitrarily I went to Totem's site where the Model 1 Signature CC weighs in at

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I think they arbitrarily chose those two frequencies to illustrate the fairly flat response in the mid-bass to upper mid-range.
I don't buy that. Its the industry standard to measure 200hz - 20khz.

+/-4.7 db is more then 50% worse then +/-3 db. Also note the Totem's response is to 25khz, JBL's, 10khz. Big difference? Yes.

gregD

Second Unit
I'd go with floorstanders myself, but that's a personal preference... there should be some monitors out there that will serve up some rock, but you'll have to hunt em down...which is exactly what you're doing.

Just in case you start thinking floorstander again, however... don't give up on Totem just yet; try the Hawk (one up from the Arro) when you go check the Model 1... those are sweet.

And I've said it elsewhere, but I'm a big fan of Monitor Audio speakers, too... try the Bronze or Silver line... great detail and imaging... will likely deliver the midrange you're seeking.

And the Dali's should be right up there too.

Happy hunting.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Your math is faulty Jason: +2.7/-2.0 is a net swing of 4.7 dB while +/- 3dB is a net swing of 6 dB. You're also overlooking the fact that the review specifically focussed in a certain range for quite obvious reasons and they simply reported their measurements. If you don't like the way they did their reporting, dash them off a letter. 25kHz only matters if you're a dog or a bat. The one reason the JBL's ought to be considered is because likely he can actually hear them. Some of the others might prove to be more challenging, but there were certainly some good choices suggested, one of which is likely to strike a positive chord.

I think the Ascends merit some consideration if you're looking at a smaller footprint.

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator
The Ascends look intriguing...from what I have "heard" about them, they are the undersung giant-killers in home audio. However, I would not be interested in them because they save space, nor because they are so cheap; the only thing I'm interestd in is how they sound compared to other stuff out there. Not just other "cheaper" monitors, but everything else in my price range. If they sound the best or close to it, I will buy them.

That said, I am having a hard time believing that the sound as good as people say they do. It'd be sweet if they were, but it almost sounds too good to be true. I heard about some people doing a shoot-out between Ascends and a few other popular brands in LA...who was involved in that? Are there any plans to do something similar sometime soon?

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

Maybe you could PM Curtis, who goes by the login "cschang" on this forum. He's in SoCal and owns the Ascends in a 5.1 setup with a Hsu VTF-3. He even has the prototype CMT-340 L/R (basically the same as the center but without the crossover modifications to account for top-of-the-TV placement). You could see if you could schedule a listening session at this place.

Sorry for volunteering your place, Curtis!

Victor

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
heck Mike,

I'm in Manhattan Beach too! Come on over and have a listen to my Ascend/Hsu setup.

I was one of the folks involved in the shoot out. I had the Axioms, Ascends, Aperions, and Rockets in my home all at the same time a couple of months ago. Where were you then?

Actually...the CMT-340's I have are not prototypes...they are actual production. Just not widely advertise right now because of inventory control.

Chris...no problem volunteering my place. If I paid better attention, I would seen Mike was in Manhattan Beach and insisted he come over for a listen. Should have dragged him to Hsu Research with last Friday for there little party too!

curtis

JohnnyCasaba

Agent
Hello Mike, I'll also recommend you demo the Ascends. I have recently purchased a 5.1 package from them (4 - CBM 170's for fronts and surrounds, new center channel and a Hsu VTF-2) and have been very pleased with them so far; nice detailed highs, without being bright and really tight mids. As Victor mentioned, Curtis is always willing to give demos and I believe Curtis also lives in Manhattan Beach, small world huh? Curtis is also one of the people responsible for putting together that speaker shootout you spoke of so you could talk to him regarding the session as well. Good luck.

John

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
However to state that JBL is putting out a substandard product with large sonic and measurable deficiencies does not have any merit.
What Chu said.

Regardless of the numbers, reported correctly or to a particular standard or not, the proof is in the performance. And, for the money, it performs quite well.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Someone posted on another thread here that HTF sponsor DMC also carries PSB blems. They've got got Silveris for $1K.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Silveri 's for a "G"!?! .. That's an incredible price. I wonder what finish.. I've got them in high gloss piano black.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks