What's new

Good Speakers for Rock, <= $1500 (1 Viewer)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
You do realize that manufacturer specifications can be wrong? I mean, they could state the response with 1/3 octave smoothing, or average over a certain *optimal* window of off-axis responses, or something like that. It's hard to believe every speaker mentioned here is really +/-3db, on axis anechoic unsmoothed, all the way to 20KHz. I find it perfectly reasonably that the JBL speaker fit a pretty flat response between 200-10K, that's excellent performance. Most "really high end" speakers don't meet this specification, although many deviations from flat response are intentional. And sensitivity ratings are even worse.

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
oops :b

Lesson learned. Don't post when your half asleep :D

Sorry if I offended anybody.

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for recommending the Ascends to me , Victor, and for prompting me to contact Curtis. I did go listen to his speakers, and I just posted a review of them. If anybody else is interested in Ascends, please go check out my review!

CurtisC

Second Unit
HEY,you ask the ? the answer is Klipsch rf7 for 1500.the best rock speaker in its price.This speaker recreates every sound,if you have weak link buy something muffled,if you have quality upstream its heaven.Yeah its in your face,like rock music,like a live band,like a LES PAUL.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Additionally, part of the reason some good speakers measure poorly in S&V is that they average the responses over a +/-30 degree listening window and give double weight to the 30 degree off axis measurements. Klipsch speakers, for example, have CD horns and at 30 degrees and more off axis, the high frequency output is supposed to be limited! That "averaged" measurement really is not very helpful, can't they just show the response on axis and at several different angles horizontally? Audioxpress did that pretty well and explained things well.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
You should take the time to get a demo of the Rocket 750s by Onix. I know they are a $1399 for a pair of mains but you said you would hold off on the surrounds to get good mains.....

There are several people in CA with Rockets (not sure about your specific area though). Get yourself a demo and decide on these for yourself.

Also AV123 is running some specials at the moment to save you some $$$. The Rockets are definitely worth an audition.

Good Luck!

Greg

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Yeah Mike,

It would be interesting what you think. The Rocket 750's and the Ascends sound very different.

curtis

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I think Curtis can direct him to Rocket owners in the area.

Curtis- I hope Mad Dog doesn't come on these boards since I volunteered you to volunteer him.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Yeah Mike,

If you want to hear Rockets, Mad Dog has a big setup, 750s, 550s, and 200. He also has Ref1's. I can hook you up with him.

curtis

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the offers, Curtis and Adam. I'm not too close to SD and I don't really have a reason to be there anytime soon :-/.

Curtis, I'd love to hear rockets. I'll PM you.

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator
Well it's better to get it before I actually buy something....although, only marginally. :)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
There is nothing marginal about Mad Dog's electronics....and just like the rest of us, he is always upgrading.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Understood, but what we are saying is that if you go to Mad Dog's, the case of upgradeitis will be much more severe.

MikeNagy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure of that... I meant, it's slightly better to get upgraditis before I buy speakers as opposed to after I buy them.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hi Mike,

I can't remember if I PM'd you or not, but I am close (West LA) and have the VMPS 626Rs that were also at Mad Dogs.

You are welcome to contact me and stop in. In fact pick up Curtis and bring him along, he hasn't heard the RM40s yet.

Curtis if you liked that Dean Lapear(?) Bass Solo, I have a couple other cuts you might like too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks