What's new

Good projector for a bar & grill? (1 Viewer)

JasonALL

Auditioning
My brother-in-law is looking into getting some projectors for his bar & grill. Someone he talked to recommended a Mitsubishi model for around 2 grand. I haven't heard many people talk about Mitsubishi projectors, and wondered if there was anything especially different about a projector used at a bar, compared to home theater, and if he should just go with something like the X1. I realize the lighting won't be as good in the bar, but it wouldn't be bright sunlight either.

Thanks,
Jason

Brian Gi

Stunt Coordinator
They probably recommended the Mits due to its long (rated) bulb life and XGA resolutoin. A bar is a tough environment, usually full of dust and smoke, might look into NEC also, though the NEC's will have a shorter bulb life.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
This is something we debate a bit here at work.

Do you get an inexpensive projector with a low operating cost and plan on replacing the projector early and often (treat the thing as disposable,) or do you get a 'hardened' industrial projector that costs a lot more, but, in theory, will survive better?

We're also a tough environment, running 9 hour days, with lots of dust.

Right now, we're buying expensive industrial units. I don't think we're always doing the smartest thing, but... next year, who knows what'll be going on.

Leo

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I'd stay away from LCD models due to the discolouration I've seen them experience. I'd suggest looking at the NEC LT245 and LT265. They are both DLP models. The 265 is brighter, but has slightly less contrast ratio. The brightness is more important in that environment though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks