What's new

Good places online for media storage shelves/racks? (1 Viewer)

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
I have a steadily growing collection of CDs, LDs, DVDs, and games that is now beginning to pile up around my old, small storage rack that I got back in college. I think it's time to invest in something larger and more permanent. I'm looking for a solid, high-quality storage rack/shelving unit with a matte black finish (not woodgrain). I just picked up a Euro-style component rack from Sanus Systems, so something that would go along with that. What are the best places online to get something like this?

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Hi Jay,
Welcome to HTF!
Have you tried Audio Advisor? They have a pretty good selection of racks in general, and they do have media racks as well.
You could also check HT Market as I believe they carry some media racks as well.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Thanks Scott. I actually got my component rack at HT Market.

Unfortunately, it seems like everyone has the same thing when it comes to media storage: shallow shelves geared toward DVDs and CDs. No way to fit LDs on those. Many of them have those shelves that aren't actually shelves, but bars that cradle discs at an angle. That's what I have now, and I hate it because discs are constantly falling through, not to mention the damage they can do to LP and LD covers over time.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
You might want to check out Elite Storage Designs. Ronald Epstein had a very favorable review of their rack (which can be found here). If I am not mistaken they are built by someone here on the forum, like SVS, and IMO they look really nice.
Chris S.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Jay, another option if you're so inclined is to make a media rack. That way you could customize it to accept LDs, DVDs, and CDs. I would imagine a place like Lowe's or Home Depot would carry all the materials you'd need.

I know what you mean though - it seems a lot of vendors carry the same thing, and now that LDs are a thing of the past it's hard to find shelves that can accomodate them. When I was acquiring LDs, I kept them in the bottom of my component rack - there was a nice, deep cabinet down there.

Good luck; if I can think of anything else I'll post it here.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Jay, another option if you're so inclined is to make a media rack. That way you could customize it to accept LDs, DVDs, and CDs. I would imagine a place like Lowe's or Home Depot would carry all the materials you'd need.
I hated metal shop and wood shop in junior high. I decided that I would never use my own hands again--that's what my credit card is for ;)
I really like the stuff I saw at Boltz. Perfect for my odd collection (LDs, DVDs, games from pretty much every console you can imagine, including a Neo Geo, which has those huge carts). Pricey, but it seems like really solid stuff. Might give that a try.
Thanks guys.

Drake

Agent
Jay,
try http://www.mander.com. this is the public web site for salamander designs. very nice stuff. a little pricey but worth it in my opinion.
they offer custom configurations that you can order on-line, or you can search for a local dealer in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks