What's new

going to Amsterdam on vacation - what should I see and do? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Before anyone mentions young ladies of negotiable affection or coffee shops, I should add that (a) neither is really my thing and (b) I will be there in May with my wife and kids (aged 10 and 12). I believe in giving my kids a liberal education, but not *that* liberal.

Although I've been to the Netherlands more recently and I've spent time waiting for a connecting flight at Schipol, I haven't been to Amsterdam itself since circa 1969 when I was 9. I imagine it's changed a bit.

We are already planning the Rijksmuseum [sp? - and we know about the Rembrandt events that are on] and the Van Gough Museum and a canal boat trip (for the benefit of my 10 yrs- old daughter who loves boats) but that's about it. I'm not dreadfully keen on visiting Anne Frank's House or anything about the Holocaust (rather too painful - a reminder of what happened to the Jewish section of my family and, at the risk of name-dropping, my aunt was friends with Anne Frank's father; indeed, she was just about the last visitor he saw before he died).

Any suggestions?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Those would be at the top of my list.

You might wish to try some Indonesian food—especially a place specializing in Rijsttafel. That should be a real treat for the family, including the kids.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Then what the heck are you going there for?!? :D

Seriously, my wife went there on a High School sponsered trip years ago. I asked her if the boys went to the above mentioned locations. She said she didn't think so. I said no way. The only thing that might keep them away is $$$$

Have a great trip. I am trying to get my family to go on a trip to your country..England.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Although I don't remember much, I know I had a really great time.

I don't know man, maybe Cees Alons can CHIRP in and give you some more family oriented advice.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Once we were there and it was hot as hell with no place having AC we ended up doing a bus day trip to the outskirts.
The villages looked almost like a Hollywood back lot with windmills & Tulips; everything but the wooden shoes.
Very postcard like and as I remember it was fairly cheap and close to the train station.
I think your girl might real like it.
The Heiniken plant runs tours in the old brewery there if you have never done that before

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Het Concertgebouw -- the world's greatest concert hall -- amazing acoustics and beautiful to boot. If you have the slightest interest in classical music, it's the place to go. I go to Amsterdam just for that -- beats spending money on SACDs :)

Also, try the eel (paling) and herring sandwiches which get sold from booths with a fish flag around town. Very, very tasty and damn cheap.

Ted

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Since you asked...
I was right with you up until your reasons for not wanting to visit the Anne Frank annex.
May I be so bold as to suggest that your aunt is the great-aunt of those 10 and 12 year old children. They are old enough to hear the story and will at some point probably treasure the family connection to the Franks.
I loved my visit to that space and did not think of it as morbid. I got a real sense of this alive, real person, who, like us was fascinated with Hollywood.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Normally I'd agree with you and if someone else had written my original post I'd be saying the same thing (if you see what I mean). However, my daughter is going through a fairly sensitive phase about the Holocaust at the moment. Her class covered it at school (rightly, I think) at a pretty superficial level but being of an enquiring mind she then started doing research of her own ... We're not Jewish (as I said, one branch of the family is, or rather was - only two out of a hundred or more survived WWII and they both died childless) but the thought of the knock on the door in the night currently rather disturbs her. I'm actually rather pleased in one sense that she has appreciated the enormity of what happened at such a young age, but perhaps now isn't the time to take her to anything that will very forcibly remind her. When she is older then it's something I'd want her to search out more and inded would encourage her to do so. Incidentally, she already knows about my aunt and Anne Frank's dad. Unfortunately it doesn't help matters that my aunt was as eccentric as a box of frogs by the time my daughter got to know her.

Sorry for being so serious for a moment. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys, and if there are any more, please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks