What's new

Going back on the job market after 14 years (1 Viewer)

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
My company is doing voluntary separations to reduce head count and I plan to participate. I won't separate until the Fall and plan to take a few months off first since I am getting a good separation package.
Any hints to help when I start looking for a new job? I have 14 years experience at a major semiconductor company in process/equipment development and project/material management. I am still a relatively young 38 :) I was planning to use a few targeted resumes and utilize online services, like Monster. I will also make myself available to temp agencies. Any other things I should consider?
As an aside, leaving a company I have spent 14 years with was the hardest decision I have ever had to make. Lots of soul searching over the last two weeks before I finally made my decision.
Kenneth

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
If securing a new position is important to you i would start reviewing your list of contacts in the industry that you want to work in immediately - One of the problems in working for 1 company is that you may not have a long list of contacts when it is downsizing and plenty in the semiconductior sector are these days and it doesnt seem to be getting any better. It looks like your looking for a similar skilled position in a relatively small market - start checking with friends/contacts/etc for something that may be opening up, start sending your resume out to them Now ..Monster, Hot Jobs, Classifieds are pretty much useless - they get hundreds if not thousands of resumes for each posting and if there really is an opening chances are it will go to someone internally or that the hiring manager knows. Again, finding a new position may not be the most important thing on your list right now but if your leaving around Fall hiring during the holidays comes to a stop and your into next year before you know it. I agree that taking time off is a priority but starting now should be able to cut some months hopefully of your search. Best of Luck.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the feedback. Actually, considering the instability of the semi-conductor market, I was hoping to change sectors. My degree is in mechanical engineering, and although I have worked specifically in one industry my skill sets are in more general problem solving and supplier management areas. Any suggestions for making an industry shift when you don't have inside contacts?

Thanks.

Kenneth

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
My options are far enough down and far enough out that they don't provide much attachment to the company. Luckily I sold many of my options in 2000 before things went too far south. Any more hints from folks?

Kenneth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks