What's new

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So if Godzilla takes place in modern times, and skull island took place around 1974, this is going to be a battle between a youngish lizard and a 60 something year old gorilla?

John C. Reilly's character in Kong: Skull Island mentions that Kong is still young and immature, so I'd assume that his rate of growth is rather slow. He should be in prime adulthood in the timeline of this film.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'd rather they try some honesty:

:D
This is Hollywood. If you’re truly expecting honesty there I’ve got this bridge.... :P

As to the star power of the actors, yes none of them can “open” a movie. However, Skarsgård, Millie Bobbie Brown, and Kyle Chandler are all quality actors. IMHO, they are pluses for the movie.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well, you did comment on them as if the cast's lack of "stars" had some relevance to you. My bad.

The era when I would go see a (fill in the blank) movie has passed. Unlike the stars of yesteryear, I have no interest in any of the current so-called "stars" per se.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The first official promotional image has been released by Legendary:

upload_2019-5-30_11-58-41.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone else think that less than a year between these two releases might be too quick? Unless this is actually set up somehow to be one long story/film that's cut into two parts.

I'm also still not sure how the "VS." is going to work. Both are generally the heroes/good guys of their pictures, and mostly have a live-and-let-live attitude as long as they're not being harmed/hunted. I can't really figure out why they'd be set off against each other in a manner that would make us root for one over the other.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Anyone else think that less than a year between these two releases might be too quick? Unless this is actually set up somehow to be one long story/film that's cut into two parts.

I'm also still not sure how the "VS." is going to work. Both are generally the heroes/good guys of their pictures, and mostly have a live-and-let-live attitude as long as they're not being harmed/hunted. I can't really figure out why they'd be set off against each other in a manner that would make us root for one over the other.
When does GvK come out?

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
It's official. Warner Brothers has pushed back the theatrical release date for Godzilla vs Kong to November 2020.

According to Cominigsoon.com:

Monster movie fanatics have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of Godzilla vs. Kong, but it sounds like they’ll have to wait a bit longer to see the two famous kaiju wreak havoc at the multiplex. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. and Legendary have decided to postpone the film’s release date. The studios have moved the upcoming sequel from March 13, 2020 to November 20, 2020.

This news shouldn’t come as a surprise. If the studios were serious about hanging onto the movie’s spring debut, we probably would have gotten a trailer by now. Warner Bros. chairman Toby Emmerich also previously hinted that the March release date would ultimately change. During a conference held in June, Emmerich suggested that film would be postponed so they could “deliver an A+ movie.”
Personally? I think it's a great idea. I think the problem these studios are having with these genre franchises is that they're releasing these movies too close to one another. I don't think it's fatigue. Rather, I think it's more that there is simply too much of a single franchise being released together and fans of these franchises are suffering from burnout. But, at least this gives the production team more time to work on the film and give fans a sequel that's more deserving of the name.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1111945-godzilla-vs-kong-pushed-back-to-november-2020

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I always thought it was kind of ridiculous to release the sequels less than a year apart. Plus, audiences weren't that thrilled with the last one, so some additional distance is probably good.

Plus it would be coming out around the same time as another monster/sci-fi flick, Monster Problems (with Dylan O'Brien and Michael Rooker and produced by Shawn Levy (Arrival, Stranger Things)), and given the box office of the last film they don't need the competition within their own genre from a film that sounds like it might be more interesting than more Godzilla.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I always thought it was kind of ridiculous to release the sequels less than a year apart. Plus, audiences weren't that thrilled with the last one, so some additional distance is probably good.

Big understatement in my case. I thought it was utterly awful, severely dampening my enthusiasm for any of these movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks