What's new

Glorious vintage movie house (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I just have to share...

So, my kids had expressed a strong interest in seeing a particular film, but we just couldn't fit it in when it came out. Needing something to do with them today I discovered it was showing at a second run theater not too far away. And off we went.

Since it was an older theater I was expecting something a little run down. However I was delighted to discover this was a lovingly maintained treasure! It was built in 1928 and was the 2nd theater in the US specifically designed for sound films. One screen, over 1000 (new!) seats, state of the art sound and digital projection, ornately decorated theater, live organ music on weekend nights, and a big red curtain which the kids thought was really cool ('like in those old black and white movies you watch').

Places like this are nearly extinct and, as a regular movie goer, I'm almost embarrassed I wasn't aware of this place sooner!

History - http://www.smargison.com/tsc/history.html
Photos (including some of the projection booth) - http://www.smargison.com/tsc/tour.html

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
What a find! I'm so jealous, we don't have anything like that here. The Warner in Downtown Pittsburgh might have been like that at one time, but it was converted into a mini-mall/food court/office space many years ago. Thanks for sharing!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
We have one theatre like that left. It shows second run films and has been financially successful for at least 15 years, so there is obviously a market for it.
Used to have several old style theatres from the 30s, but they've all been converted to artsy places with symphonies and showing plays, etc. This is the one place in town that still has some class. Similar to what James describes, it's a single theater, one huge screen, 600-700 seats and has decent sound and picture. It was designed for movies and it's actually pleasant to attend. Showing second runs cuts down on the crowds and the staff actually watches the audience, looking for cell phones, rowdy teens, etc. and will boot them out if needed.
Movies here are now all strictly run at cookie cutter theatres like AMC and others. Just big boxes with no style to them at all. I avoid them, the rude crowds and outrageous prices, just wait a few months for DVD/BD to come out. Going out to see a film is simply no longer any fun, the entire process is a headache, things have changed so much.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Not that many years ago the Egyptian Theater in downtown Boise was restored to its full-up glory. It's now used for all sorts of things from lectures to film festivals to theatrical productions.
http://www.egyptiantheatre.net/
A great historical note: while taking flight training here in Boise, Jimmy Stewart moonlighted playing the organ in the Egyptian Theater here. :cool:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
We had a beautiful theatre called the "Fox" restored several years ago. Of course now it's only for the 1% with the big bucks, their symphonies, wine tastings and other special events.
Can't even be called the Fox Theatre any longer, its the Joe Smith Fox Theatre or something like that. Had to sell the naming rights as part of the restoration.
We've got a great Opera House left over after the 1974 Worlds Fair, same thing, they got somebody to purchase naming rights to it. Stupid idea because it will take decades if ever for that name to be used. It's the Opera House and always will be for people who live here. They may print ABC theatre on the tickets, but everybody ignores it.
I know Seattle has some beautiful move theatres because they've got the population to support them. We're just not there yet, so we get the strip malls, Olive Gardens and other chain restaurants along with boring, big box movie theatres.
One of my favorite theatres, close to my house, well built, great screens and sound, etc. was sold to a church. The sad part is they can't sell it or open it as a theatre for something line 10 or 20 years, good old fashioned non-compete jargon.
Not to say we're totally classless, but you've got to dig a little to find the truly nice places.

jseabough

Agent
Real Name
james seabough
Here is one I just discovered from a Facebook pal in Australia. The Astor in Melbourne.

jseabough

Agent
Real Name
james seabough
Sorry, for some reason the link didn't work
http://www.astortheatre.net.au/

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
This is my neighborhood cinema that was built in the 30s.
f367e6f2_the_plaza_theater_1_by_wiebkefesch-d3dj0wq.jpeg

And the big daddy of them all, and the last of the movie palaces here from the 20s. It hosts Broadway tours, concerts, and a film series every summer.
b77bbdb6_4964-atlanta-foxtheateratlanta.jpeg

c517a420_Fox-Theatre-atlanta-107663_640_480.jpeg

And the auditorium
a89daf9b_2nd20SERO20fox20theatre20-20ga.jpeg

6e62387a_307_image2_large.jpeg

13f34852_3568564081_be6f6b15e9.jpeg

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
That theater does look very cool. I have been going to the Stanford Theater in Palo Alto for years - but it is a little different...
They usually show old movies, including silent ones with a live operator running the organ. They are one of the few places who are able to show nitrate prints as well (saw Hichcocks Rebeca from a nitrate print - it was awsome!)
The place itself is just georgous (from 1925) - with a full balcony and very aforadable food to boot. They even send out their monthly schedule in the mail for free if you sign up for it. You can check out their site here:
http://www.stanfordtheatre.org/
The Stanford Theatre first opened in 1925, and it served for decades as Palo Alto's premier movie house.
In 1987, after a blockbuster Fred Astaire Film Festival, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation bought the theatre and restored it to its original splendor. It is now owned and operated by the non-profit Stanford Theatre Foundation, presenting classic Hollywood films.
The renovated Stanford Theatre quickly became America's most popular place to watch classic Hollywood movies. More people saw Casablanca here on its 50th anniversary in 1992 than anywhere else in America.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks