What's new

Give My Regards to Broad Street (1984) (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
:star:
Paul McCartney's self-indulgent exercise in vanity hasn't aged much any better today than it was at the time of its release. I'm a big Beatles/Solo Beatles fan and longtime collector, but even I have never been able to warm up to this.

It's gloomy, depressing, pointless and grim. The only reason to watch is for the McCartney tunes - ranging from updated renditions of old Beatles classics("Yesterday," "Here, There and Everywhere") to some newer songs that range from the rockin' ("Not Such a Bad Boy," "No Values") to the soft and sweet ("So Bad," "No More Lonely Nights"). Most embarrassing moment is a rendition of "Silly Love Songs" with the band in ridiculous makeup as an absurd breakdancer performs in the foreground; Most excruciating sequence involves a neverending dream which concludes "Eleanor Rigby". McCartney should have learned long ago with with MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR that he is not a screenplay writer. It's also terribly directed and acted.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Joe, Magical Mystery Tour didn't even have a screenplay. Paul thought all he had to do was get some cameramen, load them in a psychedelic bus, and let them film whatever happens along the way. No director required. And it shows. So, that film is just as much a challenge to even a Beatlemaniac's good nature as is Broad Street (on which I am in complete agreement with you).

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I might actually prefer MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, because as insane as it is, one can always make the excuse that - well, - it was 1967, man! Besides, it's got The Beatles performing I am the Walrus and Your Mother Should Know (the two highlights, IMO).

Jason Guardiano

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also a big Beatles/Beatles Solo fan and I just heard of this movie in the past year. So this explains the weird ending of the "No More Lonely Nights" music video. (excerpt from the film) Don't know if I should ask when this movie is coming to DVD ;)
I was surprised to find there's an computer game based on this movie. (for the commodore 64 http://www.rarebeatles.com/photopg6/broa.htm)

Gotta love Magical Mystery Tour
"Where's the bus?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks