Give My Regards to Broad Street (1984)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Joe Karlosi, May 12, 2004.

1. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

[​IMG]
    Paul McCartney's self-indulgent exercise in vanity hasn't aged much any better today than it was at the time of its release. I'm a big Beatles/Solo Beatles fan and longtime collector, but even I have never been able to warm up to this.

It's gloomy, depressing, pointless and grim. The only reason to watch is for the McCartney tunes - ranging from updated renditions of old Beatles classics("Yesterday," "Here, There and Everywhere") to some newer songs that range from the rockin' ("Not Such a Bad Boy," "No Values") to the soft and sweet ("So Bad," "No More Lonely Nights"). Most embarrassing moment is a rendition of "Silly Love Songs" with the band in ridiculous makeup as an absurd breakdancer performs in the foreground; Most excruciating sequence involves a neverending dream which concludes "Eleanor Rigby". McCartney should have learned long ago with with MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR that he is not a screenplay writer. It's also terribly directed and acted.

2. Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton Stunt Coordinator

The words McCartney and over-sized ego go hand-in-hand.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Joe, Magical Mystery Tour didn't even have a screenplay. Paul thought all he had to do was get some cameramen, load them in a psychedelic bus, and let them film whatever happens along the way. No director required. And it shows. So, that film is just as much a challenge to even a Beatlemaniac's good nature as is Broad Street (on which I am in complete agreement with you).

4. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I might actually prefer MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR, because as insane as it is, one can always make the excuse that - well, - it was 1967, man! Besides, it's got The Beatles performing I am the Walrus and Your Mother Should Know (the two highlights, IMO).

5. Jason Guardiano

Jason Guardiano Stunt Coordinator

I'm also a big Beatles/Beatles Solo fan and I just heard of this movie in the past year. So this explains the weird ending of the "No More Lonely Nights" music video. (excerpt from the film) Don't know if I should ask when this movie is coming to DVD [​IMG]
    I was surprised to find there's an computer game based on this movie. (for the commodore 64 http://www.rarebeatles.com/photopg6/broa.htm)

Gotta love Magical Mystery Tour
    "Where's the bus?"

6. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Jason, the movie's just been released to DVD. I just bought it - for $9.99! [​IMG]