What's new

Ghostbusters Collector's Edition/PS2 problems (1 Viewer)

Muhammad G

Agent
I apologize if this may have been gone over in one of the previous 35,000 posts, but has it been determined that the Ghostbuster's Collector's Edition DVD is uncompatible with Playstation 2's? With 2 seperate discs I've run into the same problem where at the end of chapter 15 (the layer switch I believe) it'll completely freeze and the audio will continue, though heavily skipping.
------------------
And away we go.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I gave it a test on my PS2 and found no issues. My DVD driver is at 1.30U and the I got the Ghostbusters DVD when it first came out.

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
Just got Ghostbusters on dvd and was infuriated to find out that the thing stops working after the layer change, which is when they are talking about the twinkie in the movie. Is this a widespread problem, I tried it on my computer and my PS2, both fail. I bought it from Amazon, will they send me a replacement? Or will Columbia? Ugh, I hate it when I buy a defective disk. What is up with the quality control of dvds lately?

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
This has been brought up before about the PS2.I heard that if you buy the remote control for the dvd player (PS2)you also get the latest DVD drivers that can be installed.I guess this takes care of alot of problems.

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
Well the disc doesn't work in any of the players I have, two computer dvd drives and my PS2. So the problem is with the disc most likely. Wasn't there a problem with the Ghostbusters dvd before. I guess I'll return it to Amazon.com even though it is Columbia's fault. This is the third bad disc I've had from Columbia, which constitutes 3/4 of my defective discs. The other ones I didn't find out in time so I am stuck with the defective discs. Argh.
[Edited last by David Brashear on October 21, 2001 at 02:17 AM]

Muhammad G

Agent
Hey everyone, I finally have success with the Ghostbusters DVD!
Actually just yesterday I went out and bought that new Sony remote with the update drivers hoping it would take care of the Ghostbusters layer change error, and well it didn't. That really pissed me off; and it's not even such a great remote (although the new drivers do fix certain glitches on other movies including some Disney ones, most importantly the Ultimate Toy Box) but regardless I'm going to be returning that remote today.
As for the Ghostbusters disc, it took me 4 trips to Best Buy, exchanging 4 different discs (and the cloest one is like 25 miles away..) so about 2 weeks and 100 miles later I've finally received a disc that works, although there's still a noticeable pause during the layer change. So to anyone who's having problems, unfortunately you're going to keep having to exchange them, and in lieu of that I wouldn't suggest ordering them online for that very reason. Both Best Buy and Wal-Mart have them for $14.99 and I think that's a very fair price for the disc, though it's more than likely you'll have to go through an exchange or two.
Also the movie isn't the only thing that screws up because of the layer change, you also won't be able to watch the director's commentary (obviously), the trivia track, and the Scene Cemetary crashes the disc upon trying to access it. So if you're a true Ghostbuster all you can do is keep trying...
------------------
And away we go.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
This is pretty wierd. I work at a video store and the one I rented had no problems running on my PS2. I watched teh feature with the commentary and nothing went wrong. I don't know if we got the disc whe it first came out or not. Also this was before I bought the PS2 DVD remote. YOur guess is as good as mine.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Ghostbusters froze on my Sampo DVE-611 player at (what I think was) the layer change. It was on the chapter where the EPA guy, Walter Peck introduces himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks