What's new

Getting Behringer Feedback Destroyer 1124p tonite.. need a couple tips (1 Viewer)

Mike Dr

Stunt Coordinator
cant wait.. fedex is delivering it tonite so I should have it when i get back from work .. before i do, i'm gonna stop by radio shack to pick up a couple 1/4" to RCA adapters.. do i need anything else? (my setup is 1 sub through lfe channel .. so 1 cable)

I've heard people talking about Y cables and such.. do i need any other 'accessories' before I hook it up?

now onto the actual adjustment.. I am going to use ETF software with the radio shack spl meter as the input to adjust.. i have a very nasty dip at around 58hz.. I assume what you want to level out are the peaks .. so does that mean, i should pretty much bring the level of everything else down to match this dip and just turn the overall volume of LFE up? (or the sub itself)

thanks.. any other tips on adjustment are very welcome

thanks

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Mike, just got mine last week. Do a search on BFD for some tips. Here's a link to mine:BFD Tips
Also, you'll need to pick up an extra cable since you'll need 2; one from the receiver to the BFD and one from the BFD to the sub.

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
I have a couple BFD q's as well.

How low does the BFD go?

I have large peaks @ 25, 33, and 41 that I need to drop about 8 or 9 db.

I also have a large dip starting about 50 that is centered about 63.

Is the BFD adjustable enough for me to cut the above three freq. and do some slight bumping up at about 59, 62,& 66.

In other words, how many "adjustments" can be made and to how many different frequencies?

Phil M

Sundar Prasad

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,

The BFD will suit your needs well. It provides 12 filters (adjustable freq/Q/boost/cut) per channel. This means that you can use up to 12 correction points for the sub or if you are crazy, you can connect the output of one channel to the input of the other and get 12 more filters to play with. FWIW, I needed just 4 filters to flatten out the sealed Shiva sub in my room.

The lowest centre freq. for the BFD is 20 Hz, but because you can change the filter bandwidth or Q at 20 Hz, you actually have some control (albeit indirect) over lower frequencies also.

As has been pointed out many times before, room induced nulls in the frequency response cannot be corrected with equalization. Move the sub to another location in the room to get rid of (or reduce) nulls and then use the BFD to cut any peaks. The only place where I use boost with the BFD is below 26 Hz where the output of the sealed Shiva starts to drop off.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I would experiment with different sub placements and try to find the one that had the least amount of dips(try a corner first). Then I would use the BFD to bring down the peaks at that position.

If that is not practical(if you can't reposition the sub) then I would try to bring everything down a bit, after all, you have 12 channels on the BFD to work with.

I was lucky because I had a very small dip, which I was willing to live with and only a few minor humps and one major one that I had to have the BFD deal with.

Adding the BFD made a big improvement overall.

Just a few tips:

Read the manual very carefully before you start tinkering. It seems confusing at first, but once you understand how it works, it's very easy to dial in the adjustments.

Use the 4 or 5 preset positions and override the factory adjustments on each channel that you use. The other channels on those presets are already set for EQ use, so you won't have to make any adjustments to the unused channels.

After you think you have it where you want it, you can compare without the EQ by holding down the In/Out button for a few seconds. You will know it is in total bypass mode when the light blinks.

Good luck,

DJ

David Judah

Screenwriter
I'm talking about the 1124. With the light blinking you are in total bypass. If you are in preset position 4 or 5 you will be ok either way since they are all set to EQ(PA) anyways.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks