What's new

Garry Shandling Dies At 66! (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
huge fan. He was amazing on Johnny and IGSS. I regretted buying IGSS years back thinking I should have waited for a better sale. Now I can let that regret rest. So glad. Just picked up LSS off ebay. (hoping that's not one of the ones being counterfieters on there it was impulse)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I remember Garry Shandling mostly for his THE TONIGHT SHOW Guest Host stints and IT'S GARRY SHANDLING'S SHOW. For some reason, his crowning achievement, THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW pretty much passed me by in the '90s.

For a number of reasons, my early memories of Garry Shandling were often linked with my late step brother Gary, not the least because of basically having the same first name, and their 1949 dates of birth only 4 days apart!

Aside from his understated comedic talents, I strangely feel like I've lost another part of my brother with this Garry's passing! :(

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
This is shocking. I am a huge fan of The Larry Sanders Show. Ground-breakingly funny. Check out the book Confessions of a Late Night Talk Show Host - The Autobiography of Larry Sanders as Told to Garry Shandling written in the voice of Larry Sanders. Too funny. His Twitter account was great as well.

He will be missed.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I know that The Larry Sanders Show was his biggest success, but It's Garry Shandling's Show is his series that I preferred. I bought the complete series set last year and, though I hadn't seen any full episodes in years, it was still great. Such a funny guy. R.I.P., Garry!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wow, I just watched the Comedians in Cars getting Coffee episode with Jerry Seinfeld and Garry and the name of the episode is "Isn't It Great Garry Shandling Is Still Alive?" And then they proceed to talk about death (Robin Williams, as well as dying in your 60s) through a good portion of the episode. But the come-away you get is that even here near the end (without him knowing it), he was consistently still funny. "The Larry Sanders" show changed television forever making it meta-ironic.

They talk about David Brenner dying in this episode and Seinfeld wonders about all his backlog of material that is now gone forever. Garry reminds him that all that material was his spirit he passed along while he was alive and that's all it was meant to last. Garry's spirit was quite impressive while alive (and he later got far into Buddhism). But we do still have those shows and stand up routines to remind us.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Well said, Wayne, and everyone...what a shock he's gone...and a terrible loss for us in what he would have delivered as the last act of his comedic and creative life...

I'm so glad that Shout gave us the complete Larry Sanders Show. Although this will intensify the melancholy I feel in watching that show...because of the great Rip Torn's own somewhat tragic after story...However, You can't beat it for raw laughs born of nasty sarcasm and show biz satire...

Last edited:

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I was a fan of The Larry Sanders Show - one of the most subversive comedies ever to make it onto the airwaves. And I'm grateful to Shout for providing us with both of Garry Shandling's major achievements in full.

As a tribute to Shandling, I re-watched "Flip" on Thursday night. The final episode of the series, which pretty much went down guns blazing. Discovered in the deleted scenes a moment that had been intended as the last glimpse of Larry at a petting zoo, showing him moving on - a scene I'd never noticed before.

It's still a pleasure to me to see the episodes of his shows, and a shock to realize it's been 18 years since Larry Sanders was on the air.

I'll miss Shandling's humor. And I do hope that at his service, they bring in a good boxing referee to complete his final request. He wouldn't have had it any other way.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Very shocked to hear this news. Like Wayne I had recently watched the CiCGC episode with him, and he looked to be in good health. It was one of the best episodes of the series because you really got a sense of the long friendship between the two men.

I don't think you can overstate his influence. Although I don't think either of his sitcoms were ratings giants, they were both groundbreaking in completely different ways. To change your chosen medium once is amazing; to do it twice is an extraordinary legacy for one man. So glad I have the wonderful Shout Factory boxes of each.

R.I.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks