What's new

Gamespot says XBox won't have progressive scan (1 Viewer)

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
This is actually old news. Microsoft announced this about a month or so ago on their website. The games will remain in progessive but the movies will remain in 480i.

Gregg Hart

Stunt Coordinator
Basically Microsoft screwed us in the last month. I would've considered using XBOX as my main player if it had Progressive Scan. Since it's not, I won't be buying one pf these game systems. $300 for a game system is too much. $300 for progressive scan + game system = great deal. Bill Gates screwed the goose on this one.
But then again has he ever gotten it right?
------------------
Link Removed

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
But then again has he ever gotten it right?
He is much richer than all of use here put together, humm... I dunno...
wink.gif

--
Holadem

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the disregard of progressive scan playback was an issue where microsoft did not want a lawsuit from Macrovision and the Motion Picture Association of America. A dvd player cannot have a 15pin DSUB connection where the end user can get a perfectly digital copy of the software. The xbox would have had this feature and thus progressive scan becomes a poison pill that the MPAA and macrovision would have to swallow.
I too thought that it was going to be the perfect option, and being a gamer will probably still get an xbox, but not as my DVD player. Remember kiddies, this thing is basically a computer so within a few months I see some cracks to the system being exploited. All we need is changes to the software.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
quote: $300 for a game system is too much. $300 for progressive scan + game system = great deal. Bill Gates screwed the goose on this one.
But then again has he ever gotten it right?[/quote]You do realize that at $300, these boxes are a loss, don't you? Perhaps that's why the feature is disabled. Imagine the nerve of someone trying to put a product on the market, and make money with it??
rolleyes.gif

Playstation 2 is $300. Is it a similar ripoff?
It's easy to criticize when looking up from the bottom, no?
Todd
[Edited last by Todd Hochard on November 13, 2001 at 09:13 PM]

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
The reason it was dropped is because of copy protection. Macrovision was not possible on the 480p output so they were told to drop it or else. The progressive playback was intended for games where macrovision is not required. This has been listed on the XBOX website for a few months now.
The HD AV pack outputs YPbPr, not RGBHV.
I know some believe that they did not want it to compete with HTPCs. I am hear to tell you that 99.9% of the XBOX team have never even heard of an HTPC. Most of them are hardcore gamers.
If you buy the XBOX for a DVD player, then you are buying it for the wrong reason because it is a game console. DVD playback is a bullet point on the marketing sheet.
If you want a DVD player buy an RP56 or RP91.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks