What's new

Game Critics E3 Awards List Released (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Best of Show:
Doom III
Best Original Game:
Psychonauts
Best PC:
Doom III
Best Console:
Legend of Zelda
Doom III pretty much swept the awards, you can read the full list here:
Link Removed

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
They are right on about the wavebird. It's by far my favorite new toy.

I can't wait for Super Monkey Ball 2 & Zelda.

I thought Sims Online was cancelled? I can't wait to give that one a try.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
That's probably where I got confused, Brian. I was very excited about Sims Online when I first read about it, but wrote it off when I confused it with another cancelled game, figuring the Online scheme was logistically challenging. Does anyone have a link where I can get more information? The last I read about it was very early on... I know there is a chat feature, and I think you can create 1 household (A "home site" as it were) which, if popular, will grant online time & or bonuses of some sort.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I can't wait for the big Nintendo titles. I feel like a little kid waiting for Mario, Metroid and Zelda...
-Andre F

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see Psychonauts getting some press. Looking forward to this one, since I've liked all of the other games that Tim Schaffer has done. Incidentally, Lucasarts has announced a second full throttle game, which has me a little worried-not quite sure what it'll turn out to be...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Nintendo didn't win many awards, but they did get a lot of second place winners. That says something.

A lot of varied games. I'm happy.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Console game of show is a pretty big award. Runner up for game of show is no small feat either. I'm interested in how Doom III got game of show though, Penny-arcade.com makes it out to be an engine with no game.

Kami

Screenwriter
Console game of show is a pretty big award. Runner up for game of show is no small feat either. I'm interested in how Doom III got game of show though, Penny-arcade.com makes it out to be an engine with no game.
I assume they came to this conclusion after many hours of playtime? ;)
Doom3 is going to be incredible.
-John Carmack is writing the engine...no other human being on this planet can write game engines like this guy
-Trent Reznor doing sound and music....'nuff said
-id's also going back to their roots...a dark, evil, satanic game that can scare the pants off you.
-Lots of gore ;)
-The guy who is writing the story is a novelist who wrote stories for other games such as 7th Guest (might have gotten that name mixed up)
-The game is also bound to have an awesome deathmatch mode.
Doom3 deserves best of show! :emoji_thumbsup: I hope id released a "Doom3Test" some months before the actual game. They have done so with the three Quake's so maybe we'll be lucky.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
And there are many who feel that 'video demonstrations' should not be considered for the top award.
Indeed - I felt that way about MGS2 winning it when all that was shown was on the giant videoscreen. Yes, the video looked superb - but it wasn't playable /at all/.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Doom3 is going to be incredible
It looks incredible and has a ton of potential, but its doesn't have incredible gameplay yet, as far as we know. It's a videogame, which means you see it and you play it (thus the words "video" and "game").

They should have given it audio and video awards and even an honorable mention, but not best of show.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
-The guy who is writing the story is a novelist who wrote stories for other games such as 7th Guest (might have gotten that name mixed up)
That's probably Graheme Devine, formerly of Trilobyte. I'd forgotten that he'd moved on to ID-could be interesting. Have to say that this definitely raises my interest in the game-hopefully it'll deliver what it promises.

As for it being an engine without a game-you never know-that's probably a big concern of theirs these days. One has to wonder if ID makes more off licencing their engines or their own games...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks