What's new

Pre-Order Gallipoli (1981) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
511g0Ygp9nL._SY679_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Has anyone picked this up yet? Given Paramount's track record, I decided not to buy it without hearing some feedback first.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Has anyone picked this up yet? Given Paramount's track record, I decided not to buy it without hearing some feedback first.

I have it, just arrived here in the last few days. I also have a blu of it from Australia that is, I think, at least a few years (maybe a lot more) old. I was going to try to compare it to the older blu I have but I have to dig that out. I thought the claim on this new disc from Paramount is it is from a newer scan, so I expected it to be different from the Aussie disc.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Average at best, looks more like an upscaled DVD.
Hopefully Peter Weir films will get the treatment they deserve someday starting with this one, and The Year of Living Dangerously.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I'll just stick with iTunes then. On the bright side, Paramount is saving me some money these days.
And a lack of titles i want from the Paramount Presents series. So far i only have two of them. Will check out Gallipoli when my local library gets it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Watched this last night, as a big fan of the film and Mr. Weir, this was a joy to see again. This is a wonderful film that I highly recommend. It is a slow build, developing the characters so by the time you reach the battle toward the end of the picture you are fully involved and the ending is fantastic and will stick with you.

In terms of how it looks, I would like to hear a few words from Mr. Harris. Colors are very good. This is beautifully photographed in some stunning locations, including Egypt with the pyramids and sphinx on full display. Weir and his DP know how to shoot these locations so you are lost within them. Just as a travelogue type of picture, this is wonderful.

I have no facts on the transfer but most seem to confirm it is old. I also did not have a chance to pull out my Aussie edition (which was from 2015, so it is a number of years old) but looking at comparisons on the internet, it appears this Paramount disc is superior in several ways. Color is better, there is more information in the frame (it is said this shows this is not the same transfer used for the 2015 Aussie disc), and the sound is said to be much improved over the 2015 release. I don't recall the problem mentioned with regards to the audio on the Aussie disc but it has been a long time since I have watched it.

Bottom line, in my opinion, this is a solid release that gave me a good presentation in my home theater. The colors were quite nice, I did feel the image may have been scrubbed of some grain but was not bad enough that it was waxy, but I did feel that due to the beauty of the photography, this could have a better presentation. Did the way this looked hinder my enjoyment of the film? Not in the least. Also, at $13,99 this is a bargain disc of a truly great picture, so I feel it is worth owning. You also get a nice documentary, broken up into several parts, with all the major players contributing. I think this adds to the value.

This is another feature I've never seen on film, so I don't have any reference point on what it may have looked like. It is however, another fantastic and moving picture from Peter Weir that takes you to places and pulls you into the lives of the characters. Not knowing if there will be a better version of this released, I would add this to your collection, particularly at the bargain price point.

Obviously, I've purchased this twice now, the Aussie 2015 disc and this one, so evident I am a big fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks