What's new

Full Details: Panic Room SE (1 Viewer)

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I knew about those; I was just stating that I don't think there 21 instances of those types of shots.

Besides, I'd like to think they achieved those shots using the same general method, and thus could all fit under one featurette. Individually going into those "CGI-camera" effects in-depth could be wearying. But we shall see.

Looks like a fantastic set so far though. And I dig that minimalist coverart.:)

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Sad about no DTS, but I'm getting it anyway. I think Fincher is great.

I wanna see him give some love to The Game.

He's the only reason I'm remotely interested in M:I-3 (or however the shorthand is for it.

CraigL

Screenwriter
As I said before, I'm waiting to see how this is released in other regions before plunging. It's very possible another region will get the DTS track instead of the ridiculous "other language" DD tracks. It's happened before...even with Columbia titles.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Wasn't a huge fan of this film but It'll make a nice companion piece to my Se7en and Fight Club DVDs. Way to go Columbia for going all out.

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I am all tasty and excited about this. I am very happy with the cover art. Better than the huge head shot i expected like we got with Black Hawk Down. Isn't Carnahan directing M:I-3 now? Can't wait to get this and that FJTK(thats street for From Justin to Kelly) 3 discer too. That Justin has such a beautiful voice.

David Prior

Insider

Not a lot. But as Munchausen said, bits here and bits there.

I do hope that this project clicks with you all, though. I've never worked harder on a DVD in my career, and at the risk of sounding unduly like a "marketeer," I think it's the best work I've done. Regardless of the relative merits of the film, the DVD is an attempt to explore the technical and aesthetic methodology of the film in as exhaustive detail as possible. In that regard the film provided extremely fertile ground. It's my fondest wish that when it comes out, you'll agree.

Cheers,

David

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
I'm 100% sure I'll buy it, given Fincher's and Prior's previous track record regarding Special Editions, I'm pretty sure it will be spectacular (and very interesting)

Vincent

PS: don't forget a "Play All" option :wink:

Tim Ke

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your input David! I've been waiting for this set for ages (I resisted the SB version) and I'm sure I won't be disappointed :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Even if the extras are a study in the way the director and his team make the film, that's worth it to me. While the film is "simple" compared to the other Fincher films, it's filmed with the same meticulous attention to detail as any of his home runs. I'll be happy to watch a triple every now and then. And I always enjoy a Jodie Foster commentary ;)

The fans appreciate the hard work, David. It's why we recognize your name :D $40 sucks, but who's going to pay that?!?

Take care,
Chuck

Dion C

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Just wanted to chime in with an advance "thank you" for the upcoming PR SE. It's a testament to your previous works and the reputation they have earned for you that I feel comfortable/confident doing so. I own most of your other discs, and each one is a real jewel in my collection, so I am totally jazzed about this latest Fincher effort from you.

There are so many crappy, half-hearted, almost maliciously indifferent alleged "special edition" DVDs released these days; it's exciting and always refreshing when we can pick up a genuinely well constructed, intelligent and, most importantly, passionately produced examination of a film, especially one for a director as creative and respected as Fincher.

So, basically, David...THANKS! Big thumbs up.

(Hope this post doesn't come across as too fawning, as that isn't my intent. I've just been frustrated by the criticisms I've read re: the "value" of a 3-disc SE of "Panic Room," and want to affirm to David that there are plenty of folks out there who are really looking forward to his efforts with this title. I'm out.) :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
David, thank you for chiming in.

I am very familiar with your previous productions and if you say that you worked harder on this than anything else thus far, then I'm SOLD!

I know I'm in the minority but I loved this movie! No, not as much as Fight Club but I thought the performances were wonderful, the pacing was taut, the story was well crafted, and the visuals were amazing.

Couple that with Mr. Prior's track record on special editions, and basically this is a no-brainer for me.

Oh, and while it's a bummer that there is no DTS, I think that a well-made DD track (Fight Club, Eps 1 and 2) can deliver quite stunning results.

Besides, if there were a DTS track, then our neighbors to the north and south would complain that they again got shafted by the "no-foreign-language track tendencies" of the studios. Damned if they do...damned if they don't. There's only so many bits and this being a very dark movie, requiring more care in compression, I don't have a problem with the DTS omission.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
aaah so it was worth putting the first release back on the shelf everytime I picked it up.
This more than makes up for the fact that we had to wait that long.

David Prior

Insider
Thanks so much for the words of support. It's really made my day.

In the mad rush to get the thing done, I actually haven't checked on the Play All option. If it hasn't been included I'll try to make sure it is, but if not, most of the segments on effects are long enough that hopefully you won't mind.

Cheers,

David

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
David,

Thank you very much. Just one question: is this going to be a new video transfer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks