What's new

FS: Sony VPH-1252q CRT front projector (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Sony VPH-1252q CRT Front Projector Package including:
1) Projector with 7 inch CRTs. Less than 2000 hours on the tubes (good for 8,000-10,000)- no tube burn inside the standard picture area.
Projector can support HDTV and projects beutiful doubled DVD! Supports screen sizes 100 inches wide+
(Projector does not have the front control cover panel [most 12xx projectors do not].
Have the original wireless remonte commander AND will include a CCF of the projector's controls if you have a Pronto.
This projector was $15,000 when sold new in the mid-90's, Hi-rez sells refubs for $5,000! Was named the best 2 piece projection system 1996 Audio Video International Grand Prix Awards (BEating !8k runco systems)!
1252-front.jpg
1252-back.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS
• Super Data MultiScan Data Video Projector
• Multiscan capability: horizontal 15 kHz to 61.5 kHz, vertical 38 Hz to 150 Hz
• Incorporates a CRT assuring small spot size and color purity
• Remarkable light output of 700 Im (peak white), 200 Im (all white)
• High resolution of 700 TV lines/1500 x 1200 pixels (RGB in, at fH: 47 kHz, fV: 38 Hz)
• HACC lens for superior and stable picture performance
• New video decoder circuit for enhanced video picture quality
• Responds to both analog/digital RGB signals
• Desk top mounted projection, ceiling mounted projection, floor mounted projection and rear projection capabilities
• Can be used with screens from 50 to 300-inch in size with simple adjustments

2) Includes the RGBHV input card (can directly connect to PC or line doubler with RGBHV output, likt the ISCAN) and the remote control.
1252-card.jpg

3) Includes a small set of lens spacers (installed) and a large set of lense spacers (included).
4) Includes a bound copy of the dealer installation manual with complete service instructions, calibration and convergence instructions and even diagrams for chaning internal components.
5) Includes a copy of PJCALC, the computer application used to determine throw distances and installation specifics for your desired screen size.
6) Includes RGBHV bnc breakout cable
7) Includes ISCAN V1 line doubler (two s-video inputs, one composite input- outputs RGBHV to the projector!) Can double any source (DVD, Satellite, Laser, even VHS). Does 3/2 pull down on film sources!
8) Includes free delivery anywhere within one days drive of Ohio
9) Include assistance on INSTALLATION and complete set-up and convergence done by me (I'm not a pro, but I know my way around this projector!)
10) Includes my 68x38 inch handmade screen (using lumber and white cotton two pass for screen material)- OR I will build you a custom screen from the same materials up to 80x45.
So you get a complete HDTV ready projector CRT which will also work great with HTPC. CRT projection with true blacks available only from CRT. You get the cabling, the manuals, extra lens spacers (in case you want a really big screen), an ISCAN for doubling your current DVD, a screen and complete delivery & setup.
This projector is simply too big for my 10x10 room; I'm downgrading to a cheap LCD projector to free up some floor space. The only thing I don't have for this projector is a ceiling mounting bracket- and if anyone wants one I can get one for them for a resonable price.
I am looking to get $3300 for the whole package, including the hand delivery and installation/convergence assistance by me personally.
I can also include:
Pronto Touchscreen Remote Control with a deluxe custom configuration programed by me for all your devices (including your new projector, macros, even movie theme music on the pronto!): Add $300
Custom built projector stand for the 1252q that I had done by a local cabinet maker. Made from Baltic Birch; currently unfinished- can be finished to match you decor for free: Add $200
Perfect package for those wishing to enter the realm of front projection in their theater. Excellent, well respected projector with tons of controls to tweak it to perfection.
Will support HDTV and will happily mate with HTPC.
Will store multiple aspect ratios, multiple color settings (I have 2 different color settings for 3 aspect ratios; so both My DVD colors and my LD colors are perfectly calibrated).
Simple image shift and size controls, allows you to set your screen to 0% overscan if you'd like!
Great projector, great picture, installed for $3300!
email:
mailto:[email protected]
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
"If you want everything to be cheap then you're in the wrong hobby." -Rob Gillespie
Got Remo?
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on July 26, 2001 at 07:42 PM]

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
70miles/hour x 24 hours = 1680 miles
Kent Oh to San Francisco = 2506 miles
That rules me out unless you really drive fast!
(I made it from San Francisco to Toledo in under 2 days but I would not suggest it)
Good Luck
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
UPDATE
I now have the original remote for the unit, in additon to a CCF for any pronto users.
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
"If you want everything to be cheap then you're in the wrong hobby." -Rob Gillespie
Got Remo?
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on July 26, 2001 at 07:34 PM]

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Well,if you still have it in a few months I might check it out..I just do not have the money yet.
------------------

David Proud

Stunt Coordinator
Vince I might be interested. I live in Atlanta, GA is this to far of a drive? Also my room is only 143X128 will this projector be too much for my little room.
Thanks,
David
------------------
View Live streaming video of my theater room 24X7 Link Removed

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Vince I might be interested. I live in Atlanta, GA is this to far of a drive? Also my room is only 143X128 will this projector be too much for my little room.
Well, I think I could go to Atlanta - maybe work out a few extra bucks for gas or something since it is 12 hours.
My room is 122x128 and the projector takes up a large portion of floor space. If I had higher ceilings, it would not be an issue, as I could mount it in the air and people could sit under it- but the ceilings in my room are low (hair under 7 feet!) so it doesn't work.
Remember that the projector has to be about 90 inches away from the screen to get the current picture size I'm using (68 inches wide). The projector is physically:
32 inches deep (front to rear)
24 inches wide (left to right)
14 inches tall (top to bottom)
So you might want to get a tape measure and start looking at the actual physical demensions and see what you think. A good basic idea is to lay 8 sheets of paper out on the floor, set so 2 sheets wide, facing tall way (11 inches x 2 is 22) and then 4 sheets long (8.5 x 4 is 34 inches).
This should give you a ballpark of the floor space you're talking about.
If you have 8 foot or better ceilings, I would say you could mount it in the air and have no problems.
-Vince
------------------
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The room I use for watching stuff is about 146" wide by more than 300" long. Would that be enough?
Should be plenty of room. I don't know how big of a screen you want- I'm at 6 feet right now and I probably would say unless you plan on buying a high gain screen, I'd stay at 7 feet wide or less.
The biggest issue with "room" is the size of the projector- these CRTs are big and take up a big footprint. 32x24x14, so most people either ceiling mount or build some sort of coffeetable like housing for the unit.
I think I could go to NC for delivery, might have to work out a few extra bucks to cover gas and the fact that I'd have to get a hotel for the night.
-Vince
------------------
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Some have emailed and asked if I would sell the projector on it's own, without anything else.
I have decided I will.
Basically you get:
Projector.
Small Lens Spacers.
Large Lens Spacers.
Remote.
Manual.
PJ Calc Software.
RGB input card.
Delivery anywhere within 1 day's drive of Ohio.
$2200 or best offer
(This does not include the Iscan line doubler, the Screen, or any installation/convergence help by me)
$2200 for CRT projection, delivered!
------------------
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on August 13, 2001 at 11:36 PM]

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
How much to actually ship it? I'm in austin, tx.
Well the problem is multi-fold:
1) It is over 150 lbs, which means standard carriers won't take it- it would have to done via a freighting company, which is more expensive.
2) In order to ship it- a cardboard box would NOT do it- a roadcase or a shipping crate would need to be constructed or it would be destroyed.
3) A shipping crate would add weight, thus more cost.
I'd assume you'd be looking at at least $250 in shipping charges when everything was said and done.
------------------

brian a

Second Unit
It's funny. I've got a vpl-w400q right now and I'm looking to move to CRT. Which sounds like the opposite of what you're going for. Do you mind if I ask for more detail on your reasoning? Is it just the bigger screen? What not move up to an 8" or 9" CRT?
Just want to make sure I'm not moving in the right direction. I'm just getting tired of not having complete blacks (though a custom screen has done wonders for that) and my picture is a little soft and it's growing to annoy me. I think this may be the delta pixel arrangement on the Sony.
brianca

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It's funny. I've got a vpl-w400q right now and I'm looking to move to CRT. Which sounds like the opposite of what you're going for. Do you mind if I ask for more detail on your reasoning? Is it just the bigger screen? What not move up to an 8" or 9" CRT?
You're making the right move, I'm the one who is downgrading.
Has nada to do with screen size- I will be keeping my screen the same size. it is 100% these 2 issues:
1) Projector size. It takes up a very large footprint which keeps me from having enough seating in my room. It dominates the front row, makes it so no one can sit in the sweet spot, and my room is just slightly too shallow to keep the projector where it needs to be and still get a back row of seats.
I'd love to mount it from the ceiling, but the ceilings are too low- so I'm stuck with a floor mount which takes up like 1/10 of the total size of my theater!
2) Fan noise. It isn't bad actually- but because of the stuff mentioned above, I have to sit right next to it. Sitting within 12 inches means I can hear the fans. a simple hushbox, or even mounting it somewhere other than right next to the viewer would cure this- but I don't have any room to put it anywhere else.
Essentially, it comes down to being too much projector for my room. It looks great, if as flexible as you can imagine, and has good balck level. I wish I had a bigger room- I would keep this thing until I died. But I don't- so I have to be realistic with myself and know that I have to sacrifice video a little to get the convience of a smaller system.
Maybe if you want to get rid of that 400q we could work out some sort of trade deal for my CRT, your 400 and some cash for my Sony.
-Vince
------------------

brian a

Second Unit
That's interesting. I'd surely be interested in that. I'll have to clear it with the wife. I was looking at the 8" referbs online, but for the price I don't think I can beat this, espically if we can work out some kind of trade. Have you seen a 400 in action? How would you compare the fan noise on yours with a LCD? I have a hush box buillt for the 400, but it's probably about as loud as I could stand.
Let me run it by the wife tonight and see what she says.
brianca

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
Brian, I should be able to help you with the softness problem of your W400Q. I was bother by it at first but then I found a nice parameter within the Service Menu. I have a thread regarding this in TheBigPicture forum.
Regards

brian a

Second Unit
Thanks, Luis. I took a look at your thread and I'll give it a shot this weekend when I have some time to play with it.
Vince,
I got the green light to talk dollars. If you want to take it offline, you can get me a [email protected]. Otherwise, how much cash would you be looking for in addition to the w400q? Don't forget I'd need shipping. I saw one place online that shipped airport to airport. That would be great.I could go pick it up and it might save a few bucks.
brianca

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

I got the green light to talk dollars. If you want to take it offline, you can get me a mailto:[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks