What's new

FS: Sony VPH-1252q CRT front projector (1 Viewer)

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Vince, if you sell the projector by itself, what would you want for the iScan?
email me at mailto:[email protected]
------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy
[Edited last by JerryW on August 17, 2001 at 09:44 AM]

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
How is it that a projector of that age can do HDTV?
How much does the replacement bulbs cost and how often have you needed to replace them?
Would it be possible to get it converged by myself?
How would this compare to the VPL10HT (or whatever its called)?
Are you willing to drive to BC, Canada from Ohio?
Aaron

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
quote: How is it that a projector of that age can do HDTV?[/quote]
HDTV is not some magical concept invented from thin air. When it comes down to it- HDTV is simply a combination of resolution and snyc rates. Because many (if not MOST) of these CRT units were designed specifically as computer display devices- they are readily able to resolve high resolution and high snyc rates. This projector specifically was designed to accept Progressive computer resolutions like 1024x768, etc.
This unit doesn't, nor does any unit made over 3 years ago, have an actual HDTV TUNER built in- since the signal areas for thises have only been recently decided- but if you have an outboard tuner that can supply RGB signal to the unit, it can handle the necessary sync rates.
quote: How much does the replacement bulbs cost and how often have you needed to replace them?[/quote]
CRT units don't really use "bulbs"- the light projection is an entire assembly referred to as a "tube". The going rate to have the projector retubed is variable as less and less techs do it- I would say you could get replacement tubes at resonable prices if you are an electrical guy and could install them yourself. f not, then I would assume complete retub would probably cost $2500-$300
Luckily the average tube based unit is approved for 10,000 hours of life (A movie every night of the week for 13 and a half years). This unit is probably 5 years old+ and has 2000 hours on the guns- at that rate it would be 2021 before they would need redone.
quote: Would it be possible to get it converged by myself?[/quote]
Possible, certainly. I can do it, I would imagine anyone can. All it takes it a decent set of eyes and some time o learn what the picture controls do. There are tons of fine adjustments available- it just takes the time to work with them to get the thing adjusted correctly.
I actually find convergence sickly fun- it took me 4 hours- but I felt I knew my projector better and was confident I could handle any issue that I faced.
quote: How would this compare to the VPL10HT (or whatever its called)?[/quote]
The 10ht is an LCD unit- so it might be difficult to compare. I would sugegst going over to Avsforum.com and start reading. There are different projector technologies, CRT, LCD, DILA, DLP, etc- they all have strong points and weak points.
CRT is considered by many to yield the smoothest, most solid picture (some have complained about "screen door" effects on LCD because the image is projected by a grid of pixels). CRT is known to have the best black level at any given price point. CRT is however BIG and HEAVY- takes time and care to setup and maintain, is less 'plug and play" than many modern products, and isn't as bright as newer units (so total light control is expected)-- but the extra work is usually rewarded with a much more film like image!
quote: Are you willing to drive to BC, Canada from Ohio?[/quote]
Depends one the # of hours it would take. It could be shipped, however I think the cost would be in excess of $200 as you have to hire a freighing company, the projector weighs over 125 pounds.
-Vince
------------------
http://www.musicianassist.com
AIM: VinceMaskeeper
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on September 07, 2001 at 08:05 PM]

Jake Gove

Second Unit
This projector is simply too big for my 10x10 room; I'm downgrading to a cheap LCD projector to free up some floor space.
Two questions -- how big of a room can this projector handle, and what "cheap LCD" projectors are you considering?
------------------
Jake
Link Removed My JAWS Fansite
Link Removed My Arcade PC
Link Removed My Home Theater Pics

Jeffrey S

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone. I sold this projector to Vince a while ago. His description of the unit and of CRT projectors in general is very good. The 1252 is capable of producing an extremely nice picture. I think the used Sony CRT projectors are the best value around for a budget hometheater. Vince is a helpful, trustworthy guy and if you are considering working out a deal with him, proceed with confidence.
Jeff Streitz
Iowa City, IA

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Vince how far would it have to be back to throw an 8' wide 16x9 picture?
------------------
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
quote: how big of a room can this projector handle[/quote]
Don't know if I understand the question. The projector is capible of throwing a 10 foot wide image- but it would need to be about 160 inches back from the screen. The biggest issue I have about room size is my room being too small- the projector is pretty big and takes up a big footprint, so I would say you should have atleast 12x12 with min of 8 foot ceilings. If you have low ceilings and have to floor mount, I would suggest the room being around 14 feet long.
If I didn't answer what you were looking for, feel free to ask again and I'll try.
quote: what "cheap LCD" projectors are you considering[/quote]
Considering both LCD and DLP- probably will end up with a sony 400q or a NEC LT150
quote: Vince how far would it have to be back to throw an 8' wide 16x9 picture?[/quote]
Jeff,
96x54 screen (1.78:1)
129 inches of throw distance.
If ceiling mounted would need to have 16 inches between the top of your screen and the ceiling (Or 16 inches below the screen if you floor mount)
This configuration would require the Medium lens spacers (which are not included- but I can get you a set if you need them).
I would also say that this config would probably require a medium gain screen- to get good light level.
-Vince
------------------
Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
[Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on September 15, 2001 at 10:22 AM]

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Vince what if I backed it off to 84"? Throw distance and screen height off the floor? Would I be able to use the spacers you have in it?
------------------
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Vince what if I backed it off to 84"? Throw distance and screen height off the floor? Would I be able to use the spacers you have in it?
The largest width the small spacers are spec'd to do (according to PJcalc) is 68 inches wide- although most guys have said "give or take" so I assume you could go to 70 inches with the small spacers... I guess that's why they're the "small" spacers.
I also have a set of large spacers, which start at about 113 inches wide.
For an 84 incher (either a 84x63 4:3 or a 84x47 16:9), you're looking at 114 inches of throw distance...
For the 16:9, you'd end up needing about 15 inches between top/bottom of screen and projector mount surface...
For the 4:3 you'd end up needing about 8 inches between top/bottom of screen and projector mount surface...
Medium spacers for the 84 inch width...
-Vince
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks