What's new

Frustration Is Mounting (1 Viewer)

Lee M T

Second Unit
How do you guys and gals do it?

I cannot narrow my speaker search down at all. I go out and come back with even more options every time. I cannot even decide if I want bookshelves or floorstanders for mains.

I'm pretty used to floorstanders, I've had some three-way Cerwin Vega's since I was about 13-years-old (23 now). And I'm a huge proponent of bass. The CV's still sound decent, I suppose. But I just recently hooked up my Dad's old Infinity Sterling Series bookshelves and they sound pretty darn good. The bass was actually somewhat comparable too. And given these things were sealed and a good tens years old themselves, something like the B&W DM602 S3 that I saw today may just be what I'm looking for. But then again Paradigm Monitor 5 was nice, Athena floorstanders were nice, Mirage, Energy...I am now about to explode!

Anyway, just a little venting. Man it's good to have this hobby!!! :)

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Well you should not stop there... you should check out the internet brands for bang for the buck. Axiom, ACI, Onix by Rocket (my fav) and Ascend.

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Lee,

If you like floor-standers, and you like bass, then I would definitely recommend Klipsch Reference-series, or look for Klipsch Legends, used (KLF30 + KLF-C7 = Kick-ass HT).

Paul.Little

Stunt Coordinator
Well you should not stop there... you should check out the internet brands for bang for the buck. Axiom, ACI, Onix by Rocket (my fav) and Ascend.
How is it actually possible to check out internet brands? How do you listen to them, in order to decide if you like them?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Paul,

Two ways you can audition the internet brands:

1. Find someone near you that is willing to allow you in their home for a listen.

2. All the internet direct brands have at least a 30-day return policy. You will be out shipping costs in most cases, but it is the best way to test speakers....in your own environment.

george king

Supporting Actor
also, if you want to check out GR Research, they have several pairs touring the country at no cost except shipping

Lee M T

Second Unit
Thanks for the responses guys. I am definately interested in some of the online manufacturers, but I'm not sure if 30 days is enough time to decide if I like them. I also slept on everything last night and I can actually start eliminating a lot of the ones on my list.

I really don't want a rear ported speaker because they will be quite close to the wall. Plus, I can't spend more than roughly $600 for the main speakers. So that is eliminating a lot right there. The Monitor 5's are rear ported and I can't afford the Monitor 7's. They're like $700 right? The Energy C-3 may work, how much is the C-5? The B&W DM602 S3's are not magnetically shielded correct? If they aren't, that won't work for me. Axiom's are rear ported or both rear/front ported. I'm thinking right now the Athena AS-F2's or the Infinity Primus 360's. I haven't heard the 360's yet though, but they look nice. Dual 6 1/2" woofers, 4" midrange, and a 1" tweeter for $599 a pair. Not too shabby...as long as they sound good.

Much work to do. Gotta love it though.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
People put way too much emphasis on shipping costs. In the over all scheme of things if your gonna spend several thousand dollars on speakers whats 50 even $150 for something your going to want to live with for a long time. I have never understood this. By the way you get to listen to them in your own environment too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks