fronts speakers place 2 feet above head?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jason celaya, Jan 7, 2002.

1. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

How much am i comprmising imagining by having my front speakers tweeter 2.5 feet over head (on TV)? in particular the speakers in question are M&K 750s.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

You should be able to find an "off-axis' response chart somewhere. Try magazine review websites. Typically anything greater than 30 degrees off center yields a drop of 3 - 10 db in treble response.

Aim them down if possible.

If you like the way it sounds, though, don't worry. Be happy.

Good Luck!

3. jason celaya

jason celaya Stunt Coordinator

thanks...i'll check it out.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

aren't most tweeters more or less "straight shooters"? i know they're (in general) pretty directional.
    i don't know your particular speaker model, but i think you're probably losing out on some of the higher frequencies. i suspect they may be shooting over your head.
    if at all possible, try to place the speakers so that the tweeter is level to your listening position. i bet you'll hear more highs.
    i used to have my polk's sitting on the floor. when i got some stands and got them up to ear height i really heard a difference and i'm not one to say i hear tweaks very easily...although i don't have a golden ear either.
    anyway, do a test. if you don't hear a differnce then there's no worries. [​IMG]