What's new

Front speaker on top of subwoofer - damage possible?? (1 Viewer)

Rich_F

Auditioning
Hi all. I'm getting a small RPTV delivered on Saturday, and am struggling with how to re-set my little A/V corner in our family room. The geometry is terrible. The permanent solution is to build some kind of entertainment center thingy to get my components up above the TV, but that will take me a while.

Meantime, for subwoofer & left-front placement, I have only 2 choices: either place the front on top of the sub, or take the sub away for now. The front is a Polk RT1000i for those keeping score. The sub is an embarassing thing which is next on the upgrade list, but seems plenty sturdy enough to support the Polk.

I figure either way sound quality suffers somewhat, and I can live with that... what I can't live with is a chance of damage to the Polk. If the likelyhood of that is greater than really tiny, the subwoofer will be banished to the closet for the time being.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance,
R.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I personally would just put the subwoofer in the closet. There is no sense in possibly damaging your front speaker with the minor rattling of the sub. Thats my 2 cents.

Nick V

Second Unit
Rich,

I'm with Paul on this one. BTW, you should be fine in the bass department with the internal powered subs that your towers have to offer.

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
I have my right front on top of my Mirage sub but it's so big it doesn't vibrate (I don't think)!

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I have seen someone put a center channel on top of a sub. With a good piece of foam between them, it worked well.
I think that if you put foam between them you would have no worrys about damaging your speakers, but you would have to be careful that the speaker is stable and will not fall off.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I had my speaker on my sub (just for a few hours as I was testing stuff) seemed fine to me, you may want to use foam or blue ticky-tac though.

I've put stuff on my sub and it is solid though, no rattle no movement, the sub box doesn't make a peep.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I think it depends if your subs speaker faces vertically or horizontal. I have my center channel stretched across two 15" subs and have no problems but they are front firing subs. Horizontal (down firing)subs will jump more!

Wes

joe logston

Stunt Coordinator
hi rich
i put my 2 polk rt-7 on top of my 2 polk psw-650s with pedestals for the mains. i put the polk rt-20p for the surounds, the rt-20p are just like the rt-2000i, the rt-20p make better surounds than mains, thats 4 powered subwoofers, and i got a 15" powered sub for a placement sub. total of 5 powered subs.if you can put the polk 1000i for the surounds and put your surounds on top of your subs, it might sound better. try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks