Front Projection Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willy K, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Willy K

Willy K Auditioning

Do you need to use an Avia or VE with a front proj?

2. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    If you have a DVD with the THX calibration screens -- sorry I can't remember what they call it just now and I'm too lazy to look it up -- those should do just fine in a pinch.
    (I have them on my Toy Story 2 disc in the Setup section.)
    But, the fundamental answer is: Yes, a calibration disk will improve the overall quality of your FPTV image and keep it truer to optimum presentation.

3. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

I think it's THX Optimode.
    For Digital Projectors there is the basic Black and White level and Saturation settings. I doubt if there's more to be done.
    However if u're the proud owner of a CRT FP, then one of these disks is a MUST have.
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. David Abrams

David Abrams Stunt Coordinator

Willy,
    If you are interested in having a professional ISF Calibration and projection setup of your FPTV please feel free to contact me at 607-279-3728 or email me at [email protected] I travel to Buffalo on occasion to perform calibrations in the area.
    Good Luck,
    David Abrams
    ISF Calibrationist
    ------------------
    Precision Theater Consultants

6. Willy K

Willy K Auditioning

Thanks for the info everyone.
    David I will keep that in mind. Good to know I have someone reasonably close by hehe. I haven't made a purchase yet. My thoughts tend to drift from 16:9 rptv to Sony 4:3 tube and then the front projection again. it will be going into an apartment and I have been afraid that I won't get a good enough picture from an fp. Watch a lot of sports. I am really concerned about the light issue as I will not be in a basement, so there's bound to be some daylight, and actually I like daylight. Can anyone tell me what videogames look like quality wise? I will be using an X Box. Not even out yet and without question the greatest videogame console man has ever produced.