What's new

"Friends" - Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Well...

Season 9 will be released next week (March 8). In many respects, it is something of an "event" for me since this is the first show I ever collected on DVD.

It is neat to think that someday very soon the 10th and final season will be released, and I will finally have the "complete" collection.

It is rare these days that I collect a shows that lasted this long. Back when the first season came out, I really didn't give much thought to how long it'd take to get all seasons. I just thought it was cool to get an entire season in one set.

This and "Seinfeld" rank as my two all-time favorite shows.

Now that they are both off the air, I think I appreciate them more than ever.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I agree. 'Friends' was the 2nd series I decided to collect (the first being 'The Simpsons'). I've always anticipated the arrival of each new release (including the upcoming 9th season). It seems so long ago when I started collecting these sets, and it is indeed gratifying to know that the series is almost complete.

'Friends' is one of those shows that I can watch over and over. I can literally sit for hours on end and watch episodes.......which I've done many times. :) A friend of mine insists that we have a "best-of" marathon once I have the series is complete. The marathon will consist of our all-time favorite episodes. Should be fun.

Now the big questions is..........how long will we have to wait until season 10 is released? I never bothered to pick up the 'season finale' disc which was released last year, because I knew the final episode would be included on the final set. I hope the Rembrandts music video makes it on that set as well, since it was not included on any of the others.

It's great that some of the shows I'm collecting are starting to wrap up. 'Sanford & Son' has 1 season to go. The 3 remaining seasons of 'Ren & Stimpy' are slated to be released this year, and 'Frasier' should be completed by mid-2006. '

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I was wondering the same thing about the release of season 10. I didn't pick up the season finale disc, either.

I am going to figure that the set will be out sometime in the fall. It'd be nice if we got it earlier.

People I know wonder why I collect "Friends" on DVD since it is on various outlets so much. I tell them because it is truly one of my favorite shows, and it is just so much better on DVD.

There are lots of little things that "tie" a season together that you didn't see from week to week on the network airings of the show.

Prior to the release of this and the first season of "The Simpsons," I really don't recall there being that many TV shows on DVD (at least not in the U.S.). Perhaps I am wrong on that, but I remember how unique it seemed when I purchased both of those shows.

I -- like many of you -- am a completionist at heart. It is easier collecting new shows merely for the fact that you can collect them "one season at a time" and not think to yourself "aww...it's going to take forever to get all 12 seasons of this out."

Anyhow...next Tuesday's release of Season 9 should be a lot of fun.

I don't care what anyone says, it is consistently one of the best comedies (from the first episode to the last) ever made.

I love "Seinfeld," too, but both shows have a very different style.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping we get a wealth of extras on Season 10 since it was 4 or 5 episodes short of a full season. I'd like the Dateline special, Oprah and Jay Leno shows, and the Today Show, both their first appearance and last.

Matthew J

Agent
I second that, I would love all those extras and even a Cast commentary or 2. These sets are really worth it compared to the broadcast versions, I synced an episode once side by side, various hilarious lines were cut out and the broadcast episode was overall sped-up. I can watch these things for hours and can't wait til its all completed.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
The first "Friends" set that was released domestically on DVD -- the 2-disc set with the Top 10 episodes -- contains the music video for "I'll Be There For You"...

When you mentioned wanting the video, I was left scratching my head since I knew that I had it.

(Note: I purchased that set before I had any idea they would be releasing complete season sets)

Is there any reason I should purchase the final episode DVD rather than wait for it on the final season set?

Also...

I realize it isn't as good as "Friends," but I will be purchasing "Joey" on DVD as a companion piece to my "Friends" sets.

I collect a few shows on DVD -- The Shield, 24, Knight Rider, Seinfeld, Sports Night and Alias

"Friends" ranks as my most watched. It's amazing how you can whip through these sets when you can basically watch three episodes into an hour.

I would like to see a retrospective documentary of some sort on Season 10. That season's release might be like all of the rest, but it'd be nice to see.

Anyone have any idea when it might be released?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'll bet that Gord and David over at TSoD start to get this question a lot...oh about next Tuesday or so, assuming they don't already get it a lot now.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
We get that question a lot now, buy you're right in that it will shortly escalate a lot more.

What makes me scratch my head is this: people think we know the answer, are able to reveal it, but keep it to ourselves anyway.

If we knew, we'd post it as news.

If we knew but were sworn to secrecy (which I'm not in this case; I have no clue when it's coming), then asking by private e-mail won't convince me to break my promise not to tell.

Ipso facto, if we haven't posted it as news then we don't have anything to say on the matter! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks