What's new

International France...IRMA LA DOUCE and MIRAGE (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Ha, mine arrived today & I had a quick zoom through it. The picture does look stunning, & those rich colours! A few blobs here & there, you'd think MGM would do a complete clean-up, but that's MGM for you.

I'm not at all sold that this is from the new 4K - I'll be very interested to see the new Kino. This has no discernible grain at all, the titles are weaving like crazy (as are the little scenes that happen within them) and there are specs throughout that I'd venture to say wouldn't be there in a new 4K cleanup. If I had to hazard a guess, this is a previous HD transfer - and the color is terrific and it doesn't look bad at all and certainly lots better than the DVD, but I'd be VERY surprised if this is the new 4K.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm not at all sold that this is from the new 4K - I'll be very interested to see the new Kino. This has no discernible grain at all, the titles are weaving like crazy (as are the little scenes that happen within them) and there are specs throughout that I'd venture to say wouldn't be there in a new 4K cleanup. If I had to hazard a guess, this is a previous HD transfer - and the color is terrific and it doesn't look bad at all and certainly lots better than the DVD, but I'd be VERY surprised if this is the new 4K.

Yeah, you could be right, I've only zipped through it so far, all will come clear in time. If I have to double dip, then I don't mind, I'm sure you will if the Kino proves to be the business.

M

Member 323668

Completely agree with you, haineshisway. I received "Irma" and "Mirage" yesterday from France and was quite disappointed with both transfers.

"Irma" doesn't seem to be a new 4K transfer, actually I think it is the same master used for the MGM HD channel on Sky TV years ago.
A very ordinary HD transfer. Not very sharp (as many Panavision anamorphic films from that era) and almost completely grain-deprived. Beautiful colors, though.

"Mirage" is not a good Blu-ray presentation either. Just an old HD master from the "old" Universal, almost completely de-grained, DNR'd, edge-enhanced and contrast-boosted. Waxy. Done by people with low professional competence...

I'd wish there would be a Grover Crisp in every major studio!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yes, Kino confirmed to me that this company does not have the 4K master. This is why this is so disheartening here - just because something looks better than a DVD is not a reason to post as if it's the second coming - the deficiencies in the transfer are noticeable from frame one and the complete lack of grain and hence true detail is also noticeable immediately. Wish I hadn't been fooled, And while I thought Mirage looked a bit better, it, too, has indeed had grain removed (not all - the early scenes in the dark have it, but it's very unnatural-looking). Well, one lives and one learns and I'm really looking forward to the Kino release.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]By the way, Shirley absolutely breaks my heart in Sweet Charity. Love her in that.
At the very least, a nomination was in order.
That job interview scene. So painful, so vulnerable.
And Shirley MacLaine was one of the few leading ladies in film who could also own a Fosse step and move.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks