What's new

FOX Widescreen vs. regular tv: Superbowl comparison pictures (1 Viewer)

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
As you can see, there's really no added resolution. However, in addition to the better framing the widescreen image provided, colors were purer: goalposts were bright yellow, not schoolbus yellow like on regular tv, the orange down markers were really orange, and there was no analog cable noise. Plus, I think it was broadcast in 5.1 digital surround. I can't be sure, because my Yamaha only says digital or pro-logic, but I'm pretty sure I heard discrete surround action during FOX's bumper theme. Horns back right, drums back left.
Anyway, here's the pictures. I took them by pointing my Coolpix 950 at my tv. The tv is a 32XBR450.
FOX Widescreen (480p):
Link Removed
480i analog cable:
Link Removed
-Erik

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
I almost had a heart attack just before the coin toss. They took a shot of the field from above the 50 yard line, probably from the press box, looking down at an angle. I thought my convergence had gone completely whacked when I saw the 50 yard line. Red to the left, Blue to the right, and white in the middle. Of course, I finally saw it was Red, White and Blue, but for a minute, Jeez. The 20 at each end was team colors and not quite so bad, but I skipped a beat on those, too.

Picture quality is a C-, but I'll upgrade it to a C+ just for doing 16x9.

It is in 5.1.

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Well guys, it must be my TV, my eyes or my expectations. But I've been using a Samsung STB with an XBR450 for a couple of weeks. I have been less than impressed with the over-the-air digital broadcasts I've seen. Especially disappointing has been the change in black level with widescreen material. I've had to make a separate menu with a much higher brightness setting to compensate. BUT THE SUPERBOWL LOOKS AMAZING! I think the fact that it is so well lit makes it look so good. I was amazed at all of the different shades of blue I could pick out of a shot that showed a players blue jersey, his slightly different shade blue socks and another guys lighter blue whistle strap around his neck. My wife even commented on the picture [something almost never heard in our house!]

I know Fox is not doing the highest resolution possible, but for me, if all digital TV looked this good, I'd be very happy! [uh-oh! I'll probably be in trouble with y'all for that last statement!]

Tom Pfarr

Agent
If you've seen real HDTV on a real display all you could say about the FOX superbowl was that it sucked big time.

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator
While there is no improvement in resolution, there is an important difference between your images...

There is less noise in the digital version.

Brian G.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
While there is no improvement in resolution, there is an important difference between your images...
Brian: The comparison is good to show what you miss with 4:3 over 16:9 but not much else. The proper comparison should be a similar situation in the game last week when it was only 4:3 over the digital stations. My station at least presents it with blue side bars so you see the whole picture and there isn't any zooming. The resolution AND video noise were the same both weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks