What's new

Fox now releasing Julia on 02/07/05 See Post #16 (1 Viewer)

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure if this release has anything to do with Jane Fonda coming back to the spotlight, but I'm so thrilled by it.
This movie is one of my all-time favourites, and people who know me teases me saying this is "the greatest movie ever made". Of course it is not, but there was a time when I thought there wasn't a movie so subtle, deep and poetic as Julia.
I also use to laugh about some comments made at the time of its original release. "Two commies girls in the sack" or something like that. That someone was able to turn a sensitive and highly moral story about a friendship between two active women to such a tagline is insulting yet soooo funny.
It got me interested in the book Pentiment by Lillian Hellman and although there are people that thinks all that she says in that autobiography is a lie, it makes for good fiction.
Is it a barebones edition?. I'd like to hear a commentary by Fonda and Redgrave and a making of doc would be nice too.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Alejandro!

So nice to see you posting. I, too, have always loved this movie. There's nothing quite as suspenseful as Lillian's train ride into Berlin (even though we know ahead of time that she obviously makes it out--she wrote the book after all.)

Two commie girls in the sack, huh? HAH. For better or worse, both women are such lightning rods that any endeavor they take on will draw commentary from those who love or hate them. Not to get political, but I'm finding Jane's autobiography a fascinating read.

I can't wait to see this one again!

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Julia is fantastic film. I hope the studio is going to add some supplements to the dvd, so that its the definitive edition when its finally released. It often annoys me that often dumb movies get multiple commentaries, extensive docs etc - but other important, thoughtful films get nothing,or little.

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Delayed? that's bad news. I got that release date from Amazon. Now you ruined my day:frowning:

Hey Will! you are to blame for my posting. Your words encouraged me. Thanks.:emoji_thumbsup:
Yeah, that train trip to Berlin with the money stuffed in the fur hat was amazing. And don't forget the film also features Meryl Streep's first movie appareance. As a brunette! She plays this snobbish bitch so convincing , I can't help thinking poor Meryl has some of it inside her.

You are so right Alistair. I'm so mad at those shallow big budget studio films getting the deluxe DVD treatment and leaving little treasure films like Julia with no more than an uncertain release date.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

I'd call it more like a flashlight than spotlight.
and a not very well lit flashlight at that.
Monster-in-Law didn't do that well.:)

But on the Julia side, I would like to see this, as I've never seen it.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I agree, the continuing non-appearance of Julia is totally frustrating. For me it was one of the most eagerly anticipated releases of this year. I don't know why Fox can't at least be open with us about the reasons for the delay. Studios don't do their reputation any good by announcing titles and then cancelling them with absolutely no explanation.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I was browsing at Virgin store in Chicago today 9/11 and there she was....JULIA! Letterboxed and on DVD! 1 copy for $14.95.
It is a Fox release. I was shocked to see it and happy to snatch it up.
The transfer is good and contains a trailer.
Am I the only one who has a copy?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Ken, That is GREAT news! Thanks! I'll dig through my local stores and maybe I'll get lucky, too. (It's still not listed on Amazon that I can find however.)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Does not appear to be available anywhere on-line. Maybe a few copies made to retail stores before the plug got pulled, but I'm not too hopeful that I'll be as lucky as Ken Koc.

Why was the release stopped?

A beautifully shot film, BTW: there is a shot at the train station that's really amazing.

Ted

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Ken, you must be lucky! That's weird. So Fox obviously
had this DVD, transfered and packaged and ready to go
but had to pull it for some reason. I wonder why?
Are there any glitches on the disc, Ken? Maybe they are
planning a SE. Is it 5.1? Maybe Murch wants to do a new
mix. Who knows.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The disc looks fine and is widescreen only, and has the usual stereo or mono option. The stereo is 2 channel only . It does contain an insert with some photos and and chapter index but other than that there are no special features.
If I can get my scanner to work I will try to scan the cover of it soon.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Thanks so much, Ken Koc, for sharing your find. I figured that Virgin Megastores might have received the discs and distributed them to more than just the store you went to. I first called the one ten minutes from me, here in LA. They had one in their computer but couldn't find it on the shelf. Then I called the one in Ontario, about an hour away. Sure enough, they had two copies and put them on hold.

I called every other big DVD retail place around and found nothing so I knew I was lucky. I had just enough time this morning, so I raced over to Ontario and picked them up. It's one of my favorite movies, and I can't believe I'm actually staring at it as I write this.

Anyway, the reason I'm writing this is also to say, I certainly don't need two copies, I just wanted the other one to find a home with somebody else who loves this movie, instead of just somebody who wants a flick for Sat night. I'm sure I could sell it on eBay for a lot, but I'd rather find somebody here and, if possible, trade it for something else rare or interesting.

Any takers?

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon.com has it released in 2010!!!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Don't feel sad, it's only 4 years from now:D

ted:r

Second Unit
Amazon usually does that (set a release date for 2010) when a title slips from a scheduled released date into limbo land, as "Julia" did last year. So I wouldn't take it too seriously. Hopefully, they'll update it soon.

I'm wondering if the new release date wasn't set to pick up on the Oscars. Warner's has several Oscar-linked titles coming up on 1/31 and it would seem Fox is leeching onto some of the buzz. Not that I mind in the slightest, just as long as I can get the DVD into my hot little hands!

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
the only thing that will make this delay worthy would be the inclussion of a bonus... What about the said commentary by Fonda herself? Yep, I'll stop smoking pot:D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Well-spotted as always, Mr Hodson! Looks like new cover art; the old cover was mauve as looked classier, but as long as it really, truly, actually comes out, then I'll be ecstatic!

And here's me thiking that there would NO new announcements in December! Midnight Cowboy 2-disc and now this - oh, joy to the world! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks