What's new

FOX: Holy Matrimony (1943) with Monty Wooley? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Are there any plans for releasing Holy Matrimony to DVD? It has never been on video before, despite being nominated for best screenplay at the oscars. It stars Monty Wooley and also co-stars Oona O'Connor.

This is one of the funniest movies of all time...and has sadly never been shown to anyone in the last 20 years.

If not a DVD, how about at least a VHS version?

garydean

Auditioning
Real Name
gary guthrie
Do you know any outlet where I can either rent or purchase 1943 Holy Matrimony?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It's still MIA... eight years after I originally posted. :(

I did find a VHS on eBay, which turned out to be a bootleg. However, it was obviously from a video master created by Fox.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Throw in MOLLY AND ME, also with Woolley and Gracie Fields. It's a charmer from a book by Frances Marion inspired by an incident in Marie Dressler's life. THE PIED PIPER (based on A Nevile Shute book) earned a best picture nomination and a best actor nominatisn for Woolley, but it's unlikely that Fox would invest a pressed dvd in films starring what-is-now-considered an obscure character actor. Ditto Clifton Webb. MOD productions might circumvent "today's marketplace," and I am impressed with the eclectic selections that Fox has done with the MGM product.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I don't think Clifton Webb is all that obscure, but I could be wrong. Now that Columbia is releasing their catalogue via Warners, maybe Fox and PAramount could do the same; have all these back catalouges from one source, clearly the best one thus far.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Columbia thru Warners? Is this right or do you mean issuing MOD versions like Warners? These Columbias are excellent releases because Sony have restored the material which is not as large as the Warner Bros holdings. From a personal point of view I am looking for a DVD to come out of their multi-guest starrer, Pepe with Mexican comic, the late Cantinflas. It is long at about 3-hours but I would sit thru it more than once.

FOX are issuing the MGM MOD series that also includes some MGM acquired stuff(MGM has a new owner as of now also), We are not talking the original MGM pre-1986 belonging to the Turner Collection with Warners.

FOX have their special series thru Screen Archives Twilight Film series. This series is believed to be limited edition(often limited to 3000 copies only) pressed(replicated) discs. Also they are carrying MGM MOD titles a this address.

PARAMOUNT was using Legend Films(noted as modern colorisers of old films) for some post-1948 films they had not reissued to home markets such as Houdini with Tony Curtis. This seems to have bogged down to nothing new but then Olive Films have started issuing this backlog of titles, all pressed, normal street releases. Olive Films seem to be starting Blu Ray as well with a release coming in a couple of months. They are a little high in their prices compared to Legend Films.

The trouble with these releases is that some are hard to get if you live outside USA and it is no good expecting the producers to replace if you get an exported faulty one.

Some MOD titles have been known to have been issued outside USA long before in street releases like Green Mansions, for example in the UK.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Columbia just announced that they were selling their archieve titles through Warners, and I think everyon should be under one roof, so to speak; make finding rare titles much easier than having to go through seventeen different websites/distributors.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Companies have tried this world wide but it usually fails fairly quickly with media product. The best site to get new release details, often before others, is Classic Flix. Sign up to them. They do have offers & they rent as well.. Unfortunately, they don't sell WAC etc yet, anyway, but the details are there and you can rent them.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
This is a very good, very funny picture. I liked it so much I bought the 1-sheet after I saw it, but for whatever reason, did not keep a copy of the movie itself! I can only guess that it was before I had a DVD recorder and after I had given up preserving anything on VHS. I guess Fox Movie Channel showed it or maybe it was on AMC before they went to hell? I would love to see it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks