What's new

Fox addicts me again: THE SHIELD (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I have S1 in my Netflix queue right now based on the recommendations here on HTF. Ill let you know what I think when i get it.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I just want to thank Ron for starting this thread (and, of course, this message board).

I am an admitted "TV Junkie."

I basically thought that "The Shield' was going to be a new "NYPD Blue."

What I found was that it was quite different and far more "theatrical" than I'd thought it'd be. When I started watching it, I had a tough time getting my wife interested. The only episode that she'd seen was the "Pilot," and she just couldn't believe that the star of "The Commish" would do some of the things he did. ;)

After a while, she started to become intrigued. The characters that really kept her interested were Claudette Whims and Dutch Wagonback. Dutch looked a bit "edgier" in the third season, but both of those characters seem to provide a "moral core" to the show.

Plus, it is just fun to marvel at the hijinx of Vic Mackey and the Strike Team every week. The characters are morally conflicted. The show always makes you ask, "Hmmm...I wonder what I'd do if I were in their shoes."

Plus...they have had some really good talent involved over the last couple of seasons.

Film veterans John Badham ("Saturday Night Fever") and David Mamet have directed episodes.

I just encourage everyone to give the show a shot. I know that many of you are into "compelling" television, and if you haven't checked it out, you should.

Plus, they do an excellent job with the DVD sets. Shawn Ryan -- show creator -- does an excellent job moderating the commentaries. In fact, he'll ask questions to the stars that people post on "The Shield" message board.

Glenn Close has been added to the cast this season, and that should make things even more interesting.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Well, I've finished my marathon of The Shield - six days, three seasons! :D

What a frelling ride!

IMHO season one was intense, and most consistently brilliant, season two was terrific (apart from the "pilot" ep which I thought was way out of place, and which broke the flow), season three started poorly, got great again, dipped about 2/3 of the way in, and then finished on a real high (ep 15 was incredible).

Where The Shield succeeds is how well they do with two key characters: Vic and Dutch. They manage to make both of them really likable. It's half thanks to the writing and half thanks to the acting that they're elevated way above stereotype status. Actually, the real cleverness of the show is how much I'm made to like {u]all[/u] the characters, even (and especially) when they're in conflict with each other.

Can't wait for season 4! :)

The only downside is that the regular shows I watched this week, like Alias, 24, Lost etc all looked like total crud in comparison. :frowning: Okay, maybe not Carnivale. :D

BrandonJF

Second Unit

That's where we'll disagree. :) I don't think I could classify any of those shows as "total crud". Well, ok, I'd accept "total crud" for season 2 and 3 of 24, but certainly not this season.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
In comparison! Everyone on HTF was pouring praise on the latest "Lost" for example. I went through the episode moaning "I wish the acting/writing was half as good as that on The Shield". I'm enjoying 24 this season as well, but try watching last week's next to a bunch of season 2 Shield eps. The Shield is in another class, alongside the best eps of The Sopranos, Carnivale and Deadwood.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Agree on everything that has been
said about The Shield thus far....

...especially for the fact that
I am also watching Lost and amazed
that it comes nowhere near The Shield
when it comes to total overall entertainment.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
It's funny how most of us watch the same shows...Alias, 24 and Lost are all on my "must see" list right now...

Personally, I think that the ~13 episode format works better for TV in this day and age. I dunno why. Back in the day (not that many years ago), TV was more "episodic"...very few shows had "story arcs" that they were trying to keep going over multiple episodes. Sure, we have shows like that today (see Law & Order and CSI: Insert City).

I realize this with an "older" like "Knight Rider." I recently watched KR -- my wife purchased it for me for Valentine's Day. With nothing in the way of "story arcs," the episodes are totally encapsulated. It doesn't make watching 21 episodes a season feel wrong at all.

When I saw this thread, I decided to watch Season 2 again, and I agree with the assessments I have read (I've gotten through 4 episodes).

Anyhow...back to 13 episode runs...

I think a lot of shows in the past would've lasted longer with a "tighter" run of fewer episodes. I think longer running current shows -- like ER -- would be better if they'd chopped 10 episodes out of each season.

"The Shield" works because they don't have to create so many "filler" episodes. It also works because the characters have a certain likability. Sure, you may not always agree with Vic, but there is something about him that makes you cheer for him. Perhaps it is because...in the end...he really does want to put bad guys behind bars.

My favorite character is Claudette Whims. CCH Pounder is a phenomenal actress. She can go from determined toughness to heartfelt sympathy on a dime.

Most annoying character -- Shane Vendrell.

I won't give anything away in season 3, but Shane's story in that season is completely aggravating. Regardless, it helps to amp up the tension and conflict.

"The Shield" is melodrama at its best.

I'd like to thank Fox for pricing these sets reasonably. If it had been $80 or $90, I never would have purchased the first season, and would likely not have gotten into the show...

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Regarding AR:

Ex1:
From broadcast TV (in Belgium):

From R2 DVD:

The 4x3 is a little better (empty space of the right of the 16/9 picture)

Ex2:
From broadcast TV (in Belgium):

Who is he chasing?

From R2 DVD:

... the guy in the purple shirt...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just started Season Three last night.

Though I only watched the first episode
I already have that warm feeling that my
hunger for more of these episodes has been
"satisfied."

I was really in a rut waiting for Season
Three on DVD. I couldn't believe how much
I missed this show. Now that I have begun
watching the third season series release I
am happy to be back with Macky and friends.

My goal is to get through these 15 episodes
in time for Season Four on FX starting in two
weeks. For the very first time I want to
watch this show "fresh" rather than have to
wait for the DVD release (which I will certainly
purchase nonetheless).

For anyone reading this far down, I urge you
to pick up this show. It makes for an
incredible "blind" purchase.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Glad to hear you enjoy the show this much Ron. Stick with it, Season 3 is probably my 2nd favorite season behind the incredibly brilliant Season 1. Season 3 is really good but when I first saw it I was sort of dissappointed because it just lacked that famous moment that you seem to see each season, since it's original premiere I've had the chance to see it again and I completely take back my original judgement, it is very good and comes in very close to the 1st season in my book.

Keep in mind as you watch that the 3rd season is the only season which the writers and production team intricately planned out rather than sporadically develop plans for. I think that this method really plays out good especially for edging the events of the previous eason along. IMHO, the last probably 4 episodes in this season are the very best.Also the season was originally planned for 13 episodes, at lthe last minute they added in two extra episodes to make it 15, therefore the 13th episode was originally planned to be the finale and in some ways plays as such.

I don't understand this talk of there being a Widescreen R2 DVD for this series since the show has always been shot in 4:3 at the preference of the production staff. I heard somewhere that they prefer it to 16:9 since it provides a closer more intense feel to it. I think this works good for the edginess of the show especially in those numerous interrogation room scenes.

One last note about this pilot episode in season 2. I, like much of you agree it breaks the flow of the season and originally was quite confused about it's placement in the Season. However, since seeing it again a couple times I've really begun to like it and can even offer a thought on why it is there when it is. I think it was put there to begin the transition to the events that later occur in the rest of the season and ultimately the finale, think of it as a way to bridge the show from the events involving Armadillo
and kind of reflect on the way things were before all of the stuff after it and later in the finale. I personally thought it was kind of cool to see The Barn's beginnings and how Vic Mackey began twisting rules to make arrests, it was also nice to see them show characters disscussed in previous episodes who have never been shown (ie. Detective Ganon). The opportunity to see Vic and Shane in suits was good enough for me. :D

Don't forget to watch Season 4 on FX March 15th at 10!:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I should mention that it took a mere
two days for me to watch the entire
Season Three of The Shield on DVD.

I was not disappointed. The season was
as strong as all the others before it and
there wasn't one bad episode in the set.
In fact, I can't say that there ever has
been one lackluster show made across the
board.

By far, this is one of the best TV shows
I have had the pleasure of watching.

I'm ready, for the first time ever, to
watch the show LIVE on FX starting in
less than two weeks.

My only problem with this show?

There seems to be a trend that I'm not
too thrilled about....

Mackey and his posse can't get caught.
Whatever trouble they get into -- no matter
how severe -- they are destined to get out
of it. After all, should these guys be
caught and put in the slammer for the rest
of their lives (which they should) the show
has nowhere to go.

For that reason, THE SHIELD will continue
to play out stories of these rogue copes
doing unlawful things with no real danger
of being put away for their actions.

This doesn't necessarily inhibit my overall
enjoyment of the show, but it does somewhat
take the edge off of the whole idea of it.

Anyone else agree?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well It does suffer a bit from Gillagen Island Syndrome. You know the Castaways can't be rescued just as much as the Strike team

Can't be caught or the show would End

But I guess that's half the Fun.

Still A very tight show. And very addictive, sopranos addictive. BTW if you want another good viewing experience with another high quality show get yourself a copy of Deadwood. THe Language is very rough but the writing and performances, especially from Ian Mcshane is top notch.

What do all these shows have over Network TV why are they so good? I think it all comes from cables 13 episode format. Shows like Deadwood , The Shield, and The Dead Zone all are excellent becasue there is no filler episodes. They need all their 13 shows to tell the story and nothing is wasted. They also take chances with their characters and do things that would never happen on network TV like

Having Captain Aceveda Raped

Big payoff's in character moments becasue of this.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Ron:

If you want to watch another "addictive" show on par with the work you see on HBO, you'd be wise to check out "Rescue Me" created by and starring Dennis Leary. It can get pretty raunchy at times, but it has a dark, biting and cynical sense of humor (not a surprise since it is Dennis Leary). Not as strong as "The Shield," but interesting nonetheless.

I agree with the notion that there are times the Strike Team seems to get out of scrapes "too easily," however, the guys seem to receive their "come uppance" in other ways.

I think it is more a "karma" thing -- what goes around comes around.

They may get away with things, but by doing so it usually causes problems in their personal lives...

Or, in the case of Ronny it caused him to get his face burned by Armadillo.

Season 2 suffered from the fact that the Strike Team just didn't look particularly "bright" at times. Critics commented on this fact.

I think that has always been the case. However, Vic is the glue holding them together. Without him, these guys wouldn't have been bright enough or motivated enough to do most of the "questionable" things that the Strike Team does. The often unscrupulous nature of Vic Mackey has had negative consequences on the lives of all the strike members...past and present.

We have seen moments where Ronny, Shane and Lemansky have expressed their grief and remorse for what has gone on. They are the ones that seem to have a conscience. Vic will find a way to make them feel guilty, or make them feel obliged to him, and they will rally together again.

My prediction is that they'll eventually get caught. It'll happen at the end of the show's run. Vic will be at home with his family (all fences mended), sitting at the dinner table and the doorbell will ring. Vic will go to the door and it'll be Claudette with an arrest warrant. We'll find out that the one who ratted him out was his closest ally -- Shane Vendrell.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle

I agree 100%. The networks' have some strong shows like "Lost", "24", and "Alias" but they lack the cuuting edge, envelope pushing stories of these cable shows like "The Shield". I don't necessarily agree that the 13-16 episode limit makes for a better show because any show can be crap regardless of season length. The brilliance and legacy of these cable shows relies on the envelope-pushing themes and great writing.

I can't wait for March 15!:)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

I don't agree with regards to Shane. I think he's potentially much worse than Vic, and Vic has been reining him back in. Shane was never really showing remorse IMO - he was using what Vic did in that first ep as an excuse to do his own thing. The difference is that Vic's rationale has always been that, when all is said and done, ordinary citizens are better off with him doing things his way. Time and again we've seen him try to fix things for "criminals" caught in the crossfire of his schemes. I don't think Shane has such principles.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

I think that's what Vic would like to believe about himself, but its not really true at all - he does work to protect innocent people, but in the end if it was between him and someone else, he would probably choose himself.

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator
Have jumped on "The Shield" bandwagon after enjoying all 3 seasons on DVD(show is on too late for me and my early hours).Looking forward to Season 4 as much as looking forward to The Sopranos Season 6.Vic Mackey is an amazing character and shows less remorse and conscience than even Tony Soprano.Will be interesting to see if these 2 characters will ever get retribution for their past.Ordering my Tivo today so I don't have to wait for Season 4 to come to DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks