What's new

Forrest Gump content (1 Viewer)

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to watch this with my 10 year old son, but have not watched it in quite awhile. Can anyone who's watched it recently tell me how prevalent the the profanity is? I seem to remember there being a few f-bombs.
Thanks,
Brennan

As best as I can remember there is only one use of the F word which is spoken by that guy in the American flag outfit in front of the washington monument. The only thing besides that, that I can find objectionable is the use of drugs by the Jenny character and also that her character gets slapped around a bit by various guys. For the most part though this movie is pretty tame and I think it is safe for any child over 10 or so.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
There's at least 1 instance of the word Sh*t... the "Sh*t Happens" scene.
This brings up a good question.
I remember one selling point of DVD during it's infancy was parental control (ie. an option to block out all profanity).
I don't remember ever seeing it on any DVDs that I own (not that I want/need to use it).
Does this actually exist? Did I imagine this feature?

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Well, yeah there's the single F-word of the film during the scene in Washington D.C. There's also the scene where Forrest and Jenny are in Jenny's room at her college, and she takes off her bra, puts his hand on her breast, and he has an orgasm. This scene was kind of shocking to me, because I had never noticed exactly the way he reacts, and I saw it and thought "wait a minute, did what I think happened just happen?". There's also the butt shot with LBJ.
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

CRyan

Screenwriter
The feature exists but has never been utilized as far as I know. Many here at the HTF do not support such alterations, and I would suggest doing a search on the matter later tonight when the search function is opperational. This thread will take a sharp turn for the worse if this topic gets debated here. :)
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

Andy_S

Second Unit
I recently watched it and here's the questionable parts I remember:
The word $hit
A few 'F' words
There's the scene were Gump Spoiler:is in the dorm room with Jenny and she places his hand on her bare breast and he uh... "dirties his shorts" I guess is a polite way of saying it.
I don't remember if there was anything questionable in the scene where Spoiler:Lt Dan takes those two girls and Gump up to his apartment after the New Year celebration.
------------------
Check out my home-built mame cabinet here!

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
The feature exists but has never been utilized as far as I know. Many here at the HTF do not support such alterations...
Good to see that I wasn't dreaming it all up. :)
I really don't want to start up a battle here, but I gotta wonder why people on this forum would object to this feature.
I know we like things the way the director intended, but to offer a function that will blank out the "dirty words" can really help parents such as Brennan. I don't think it will even effect disc space. Why the objection to this?
Perhaps someone can start up another thread regarding this, since we're going a little off-topic here.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
This is such a dumb topic anyway. What little kids is going to want to watch Forrest Gump anyway? I know I would, but I was different than most. If the kids is old enough to want to watch it and not just cartoons, I'm sure this movie won't harm them. Forrest Gump was a good guy. Lt. Dan and Jenny weren't bad either, they just got messed up. Ultimately Forrest helps Jenny and Lt. Dan. The violence, sex, drugs, language in this movie were far from gratuitous but presented in a realistic matter. "That's all I have to say about that"
------------------
Michael's DVD's

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Thank's for the responses, that's just the info I was looking for. Usually I go to screenit.com but that does not cover older releases. As far as this being "a dumb topic anyway", I don't think that's the type of post most people on this forum really appreciate. I was hesitant to make my original post in fear of just that sort of response. And I think that really hurts this forum. I was just seeking information, not polling people on the merits of editing for content. Now I'm off topic.
Thanks again everyone!
Brennan

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Actually, I think this is a great topic. I've always felt that content-sensitive reviews were useful; I don't have children, but my friends do, and they are concerned about sex, language, and violence that would otherwise not be indicated by the rating alone. This is especially true on PG and PG-13 movies, even with the MPAA's recent efforts to include why they have rated movied the way they do.
The screenit.com site is quite good. I wish I had thought of it. :)
By the way, I was around Seal Beach a couple of weeks ago. I wish I could package up that weather and take it home with me.
- Steve
------------------
gotremo.jpg

Got Remo?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks