What's new

Directors Format Wars! Blu-Ray vs, HD-DVD Who do you think is winning now? (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
It is Jan. 22nd 2005. Who looks to be winning the format war right now, Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Or can you tell yet?

Please keep commentary short. Three sentences at the most. I just want to get a snapshot so at the end of the month, I will ignore thread. Maybe I will start a new one in six months.
Here are the choice again:

HD-DVD
Blu-Ray
Too Early

Thanks

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Until the titles start rolling out for everyone to judge I'd have to say there is only one real answer right now...........

Too Early

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
It won't be released for another 8 months, but I'm already excited about owning HD-DVD copies of the Harry Potter films.

Blu-Ray discs aren't even at the point of being considered vaporware yet.

Also, standard DVD plants can be easily re-tooled to support HD-DVD production, which means product shortages are less likely to be a problem than with Blu Ray. So at this point I would give HD-DVD the edge.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
When the studios can stop competing and settle on ONE format, that's when WE win.

I'm not going to support HD-DVD so that I can miss out on movies like Lawrence of Arabia (Columbia) and Fantasia (Buena Vista). I'm not going to support BluRay so I can miss out on 2001: A Space Odyssey (Warner) and The Elephant Man (Paramount).

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Patrick, you have expressed the situation very well. I am going to ask that this thread be closed for now. I think I have a good snapshot of what is happening. I have a good starting point for following this now. I will revisit this in 6 months or if something significant happens.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Its too early but I think HDDVD will have a advantage simply because of the name.

People already now what DVD is - while BluRay may cause them to go .. "huh?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks