What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order For Whom The Bell Tolls (1943) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
131957_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Wow What woke up Universal that they are suddenly releasing all these classics. Hope they won't be disappointed with the sales as Fox was when they had a flurry of classic releases a few years ago that they released themselves. This was the film Ingrid Bergman made right after Casablanca. Supposedly because she had cut her hair for this film she couldn't shoot retakes on Casablanca thus preventing "As Time Goes By" being replaced by an orginal Max Steiner song.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
What I'd like to know if this - along with The List of Adrian Messenger, The Thrill of it All!, and The Egg and I - will be made available at retailers or as an Amazon exclusive as BD-Rs, like Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid was. Also, will the Blu-ray contain either the general release version, the reconstructed roadshow version, or both versions of the movie?

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
What I'd like to know if this - along with The List of Adrian Messenger, The Thrill of it All!, and The Egg and I - will be made available at retailers or as an Amazon exclusive as BD-Rs, like Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid was. Also, will the Blu-ray contain either the general release version, the reconstructed roadshow version, or both versions of the movie?

Just checked on Amazon; the runtime is consistent with the restored version. I'll still wait for a review before jumping in.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

Fletch lives and Dead Men are both pressed disc- BD 50

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
A number of forum members, including Ed Lachman, bought the German Region B Blu ray last year and had high praise for the quality of this disc. It's one of my favorite three strip Technicolor films (as well as being one of William Cameron Menzies' most eye-popping production designs) so I'm definitely in.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I’m very happy to hear about this release. There have been a tremendous amount of Best Picture nominees released in the last and next few months. Everything from 30’s, 40s, 60s, etc. Criterion and Kino are doing the bulk of the releasing, but I’m very happy to see that Universal is starting to give out its treasures.

Day one purchase for me!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
A number of forum members, including Ed Lachman, bought the German Region B Blu ray last year and had high praise for the quality of this disc. It's one of my favorite three strip Technicolor films (as well as being one of William Cameron Menzies' most eye-popping production designs) so I'm definitely in.

Yes, I ordered that German BD as soon as it was released. Really a gorgeous image and fine audio as far as I was concerned. Nice little booklet, too, but all in German. Wonder what Universal will do next? Hopefully more DeMille after that wonderful surprise of Cleopatra. I'll be ordering ALL these deep classic releases, as well as a double dipping on my Eureka UK Cleopatra and For Whom the Bell Tolls. Support keeps 'em coming.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I hope Universal will release Skippy, Shanghai Express, and Hold Back the Dawn. Very pleased they are slowly releasing their great back catalogue.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I received this title last night and haven't had a chance to examine it thoroughly. But since the running time was only about 156 minutes (not 166 as noted on the cover) I did a quick scan through and noticed that the intermission was omitted. The chapter stops are positioned at ten minute intervals and there is no menu. The transfer looks nice, but it's a bare-bones release. I should have saved my money. The Masterpieces of Cinema version from Germany I purchased a while back offers a much nicer package with bonus extras and the extra music for those with region-free players.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I received this title last night and haven't had a chance to examine it thoroughly. But since the running time was only about 156 minutes (not 166 as noted on the cover) I did a quick scan through and noticed that the intermission was omitted. The chapter stops are positioned at ten minute intervals and there is no menu. The transfer looks nice, but it's a bare-bones release. I should have saved my money. The Masterpieces of Cinema version from Germany I purchased a while back offers a much nicer package with bonus extras and the extra music for those with region-free players.
I have not ordered this Kino release as the price point is more than I want to spend since I also own that MOC BD release. Looking forward to reading more of your comments about the differences between the two releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks