What's new

Flexi rack and 80lb amplifier? (1 Viewer)

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all:

I'm thinking of purchasing a Sherbourn 5/1500A amp and it weighs a hefty 80lbs! I just finished some Flexi racks for my HT (pics coming soon!) and was wondering if the bottom shelf of either of them would hold the amp.

In doing a search, I found a discussion that noted 1/4" MDF will start to sag eventually when holding anything over 50lbs. This assumed a 22" span of the supports, IIRC. My 1/4" MDF shelves are 16"H x 24"W and supported by 4 5/8" all-thread posts. The bottom shelf, where the amp would live, is about 2.5" from the ground, if that matters.

Should I worry about the weight of this amp on my flexi rack?

TIA

Todd

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Cosmetics aside (the shelf will sag eventually imho unless you add a middle support leg), it shouldn't hurt too much for the simple fact that most likely you have muliple shelves and these should keep the rack together (ie, not splitting apart) for the most part. Just simply either cut out a dowel or small stud (more flexible and adjustable) and stick it near the middle of the shelf/bottom should solve the trick.

A

Anthony_Gomez

I hope so too! 1/4 in will flex with most equipment....I shiver at 80lb's on it!

remember, you can always use thicker shelving with a flexie...a 1' shelf, or 1.5" shelf (3/4x2).

Todd_Michael_R

Stunt Coordinator
LOL!!! Yes I am using *3/4* inch MDF! My bad. Can you imagine otherwise?!? Hehehehe...that would be funny. On second thought, no it wouldn't. :)
Thanks for the advice to all, btw.
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks