What's new

Flared Ports (1 Viewer)

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Building ONE sub that beats my 16-46csPLUS may be harder and more expensive than you think.
Let's be realistic.

Get a BluePrint 1503. Put it in a 20" diameter tube, gross internal volume 195L. Tune to 18.4Hz using a 29.5" port. This will cost approx $400, and it will lay waste to a 16-46csPlus

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Get a BluePrint 1503. Put it in a 20" diameter tube, gross internal volume 195L. Tune to 18.4Hz using a 29.5" port. This will cost approx $400, and it will lay waste to a 16-46csPlus
Since I see ThomasW and Greg Monfort as the DIY dieties around here, I can't think of a better endorsement for an SVS killer than this right here!

Thomas,

I'm assuming you are referring to using a 6" diameter port?

Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Since I see ThomasW and Greg Monfort as the DIY dieties around here
Not just you. We're rather fortunate that they take the time for our crap. ;)
Yes, a 6" flared port would be minimum with the 1503 I'd think, that's what Thomas has used in all his 1503 reflex projects I believe.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Yes, a 6" flared port would be minimum with the 1503 I'd think, that's what Thomas has used in all his 1503 reflex projects I believe.
Jack,
I'm completely brain dead this morning (moreso than usual)! If I had thought about that for a minute I would have remembered Thomas' SW15 clone using the HE15/1503 with the flared 6" port.
I just hate being late for work...especially on a day when I need to leave early!:)
Brian

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Oops my bad :)
Yup 6" port. It would be nice if it could be flared, but it appears that atleast for a while the supply of AreoPort 6" flares has dried up :frowning:
I wonder if we ask real nice if Dan Wiggins could help build a fire under Lightning Audio/Rockford Fosgate to put these back into production. With all the new high excursion and large diameter drivers being offered it would be great to have a reliable supply/supplier.
As for GM, he's probably forgotten more about speaker design than I'll ever know.......

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
Sometime you just have to hit me with a brick to get me to understand. From all the replies, it sounds like I CAN build a sub to replace my SVS and meet my needs. My SVS sounds great 99% of the time, but when I push it on very low bass (

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Ted,

The only thing about the samson amps that swayed me away was them not being bridgable @ 4 ohms. I'm sure you could sell the samson and get a QSC, Crown, or Crest unit that will do the job.

If you're that concerned and you don't want to sell the amp, a tempest/dual tempest sonosub may be just for you. With the tempest, you will less likely need an EQ also.

I read in a thread a while back that a single tempest barely edged the mass 2012, which is very similar to the SVS ultra driver. If all you are looking for is a little more sub than a single tempest will really be all you need. You can even use a single channel on your samson to power it.

Also, with your 16-46+ you sacrifice output in the more common bass areas to get the lowest extension so even a 20-39+ or 25-31+ will get you more output for your larger room.

Think about that. A tempest or dual tempest sub is really your best bet for your budget right now.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
That Tempest/Mass comparison was by TerryC, quite a while ago. Here's the thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=20193
The graphs don't come up anymore, though.
Seems Terry found the Tempest to have at least a 3db advantage in output and be able to get through some scenes that caused slight bottoming with the Mass. Not a big surprise given the differences in the drivers.

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
In the Wiring FAQ on the sub page says you can not run each VC of a different channel.

What is possible is to wire a DVC speaker to 8ohms by hooking them up in series. Then the Samson can be bridged to power this 8 ohm load.

The only question is how much performance will I lose by running the driver in an 8 ohm configuration.

I bought the amp as a refurb for $300, even if I sold it for that the cost difference to get a new one would be too high.

Thanks

TedO

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ted,

I think one of the QSC amps is selling for about $400 and puts out over 1000 watts. Isn't it the RMX850, Jack?

Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
What is possible is to wire a DVC speaker to 8ohms by hooking them up in series. Then the Samson can be bridged to power this 8 ohm load.
Depends on the Re of each coil. Two 4 0hm coils can have either a 2-ohm or an 8-ohm impedance. A woofer with 8-ohm coils, like Tempest, can be either a 4-ohm or 16-ohm load (disregarding leaving one coil open, which I wouldn't recommend for most purposes).

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
There's the QSC RMX850, $300, 850w bridged into 4 ohms, and the RMX1400, $400, which is (surprise)1400w into 4 ohms.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My 2 centavos on bottoming drivers:

12" drivers are more susceptible to bottoming out than 15" drivers. This is totally empirical data that I've gathered.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Brian,
Isn't the 03 drivers from BP single coil. That's what I was refering to. If he gets a BP 1503 then he can't bridge the amp or run a channel to each coil(only 1 coil).
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the Wiring FAQ on the sub page says you can not run each VC of a different channel.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strange, I always thought that was a viable option. They don't give a reason, though. Anyone know?
This is very strange to me. I always thought that you could NOT run a DVC driver with seperate channels until I heard several people doing it here. I always thought a dual 8 ohm driver could only be 4 ohms(parallel) or 16 ohms(series), nothing in between. After hearing of several people using 1-ch to each coil I just assumed I was mistaken. I also read from someones post here(can't remember who) that you can short one of the coils and use the other coil to run at 8 ohms. Anyone know if this can be done?
Anyone know for sure if running 1 coil to each channel is OK/recommended?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I also read from someones post here(can't remember who) that you can short one of the coils and use the other coil to run at 8 ohms. Anyone know if this can be done?
The reason I mentioned that I didn't recommend it is that you lose thermal power handling and, more importantly, you lose 3dB in efficiency, effectively cutting your amp in half.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You can use a Y-connector to branch out the LFE/sub output and feed it to 2 different amp channels, and feed each amp channel to 1 voice coil so that each amp is handling a nominal 8 ohm load. Just make sure you get the polarity correct, or you'll get very little output from the driver. :)

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
My Sampson has a parallel mode, this takes the channel one input and sents it to both amp channels. This would still be a 4 ohm load as long each voice coil has an independent 4 ohm load. The HE 15 has a 3ohm load per voice coil, so I think it is out of the running. Jeff thinks the Blueprint 1503 is a single voice coils speaker, so I think I’m down to the Tempest or the Mass 12”

TedO

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Just so you know, I think the mass driver is $300 on it's own(someone correct me if I'm wrong). With the tempest being half that price, there is no question unless size is a big issue. If you need serious bass, get 2 tempests, you still have more than enough power for both with your samson s1000 in stereo mode. OR, get 1 tempest and a buttkicker to run off the other channel for that "kick your butt" feel.

That's what I'm running right now. A tempest on 1-ch, and an array of shakers on the other(not a buttkicker, but they do the job).

TedO

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking on the Tempest whitepaper and they show a chart that lists the voice coils run in Parallel, Series and Single with one shorted.

It also goes on to say you may hookup one voice coil to each channel of an amp. The Wire FYI must be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks