Flared Ports

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TedO, Mar 12, 2002.

1. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

I am tring to copy my SVS16-46cs+. It has (3) 3" flared ports that are 32" long (rough measurement).

I have found these ports but after buying the kit (2 flares and an extension tube) I would also have to get another extension and a coupling ring. In total about $60-$75 for all three.

I would like to stay with the flared ports but does anyone know where I can get them cheaper? Has anyone used flared ports with PVC extensions?

TedO

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

The 3" kits are usually around $17 or so, try partsexpress.com.

Since you're trying to use the same ports/lengths, what volume will you use, and are you going to be using the same driver? Are you just trying to physically copy your tube, or have you modelled an alternative driver in case you can't get that driver (as you know, a different driver will have a different response if you plunck it into the box intended for the SVS)?

3. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

I have contacted TC Sounds, the maker of SVS's plus driver and am waiting for the diver spec's.

What I am tring to accomplish is to match my SVS in size, shape and sound as closely as possible.

I want a second sub but can't afford another right now,so I thought I would see if I can build a "twin" for cheaper.

4. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

TC is going to give you the SVS driver specs, or sell you one?

5. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

I am hoping they give me the spec's. The driver is a proprietary design. From the spec's I am hoping to chose a driver that is very close to SVS's.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Ted,
    Why not just build one sub that will outperform dual 16-46's and sell your current one? If TC Sounds gives you the driver specs I'll buy you lunch the next time you're in Atlanta![​IMG]
    Brian

7. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

Building ONE sub that beats my 16-46csPLUS may be harder and more expensive than you think. One plus is roughly equal to two regular SVS's. The new driver can handle 500 watts.

I am not saying it can't be done, but it sounds like a huge task. How big would this killer sub be?

TedO

P.S. you may be right on the spec's, I haven't received a reply yet.

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

9. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It comes down to the practicality of mating the flares to the PVC. It may be tough or easy, depends on how inventive your are.

Most of the "cheapo" subwoofers made on the assembly line use the flares, but the tube section is made out of carboard (like the inner roll of paper towels).

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hasn't Dustin guesstimated that his Tempest Sonosube would equal or better an SVS Ultra? I don't know what size tube you'd need but I think a Tempest with a 6" port (maybe an EBS alignment) could be pretty mean even if you have to use a 24" tube. I mean, if someone can live with two 16" tubes in one corner I'd think they could handle a 24" tube as well.

Brian

12. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

I wouldn't be at all surprized if a large Tempest sonosub, say 300 liters tuned to 18Hz with a 6" port, was able to outperform an Ultra. (I believe it's the Ultra which is suposed to have twice the output of the regular SVS at some frequencies.) Again, no one has measured both in the same conditions, but that Tempest sub would have greater displacement than the Mass12-like driver (as I understand it uses) and greater porting. Likely noticeable more efficient, also. And it would be more flat down low than the "Low-Q" vented alignments.

Anyway, commercial subs are boring. It's better to define a performance goal and try to design for that.

13. Kerry Hackney

Kerry Hackney Stunt Coordinator

You can get large cardboard tubes from a carpet store. They are the core that the rolls come on. I've used them in cars.

I would take the flare to my local pumbing store and see if I could match it up with a standard pipe or coupling. Also, there may be a plastics distributor in your town that sells tubing of various sizes.

14. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

To start with, most of the Sono Subs builders compare (in performance) their subs to the regular CS line of SVS subs, claiming to their equal and then sum. The Plus line is claimed (by SVS) to be about double the performance of a regular CS and 80% that of an Ultra.

By everything I have read on this DIY forum, I am lead to believe building a sub to match or exceed even an SVS Ultra is possible. BUT to build one sub to equal two of the Ultras seems like an impossible task. I have not read anywhere on this site, anyone building a sub to DOUBLE an Ultra’s output or even get 160% more performance, which would be equal to a set of 16-46 Plus’s.

Can mathematically show you can get that kind of output? How expensive is the driver and how big would the enclosure need to be? Are we talking a 24” tube 10’ tall? The wife will only let me go so far with my HT decorating of her living room.

The output a pair of Ultras powered by a Samson S1000 is 100db @ 20hz, I calculate the pluses at 88dbs @ 20hz.

15. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Ted depends on how you measure.

Rudy has a single 15" DVC(Tempest equivilent) and he says he measures 115dB @ 20Hz in his room. Now Tom Nusiane(sp?) probably won't measure that in his room with

16. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

As I've said, you need to do a lot of research before you can begin to understand anything, or question someone else.

17. TedO

TedO Stunt Coordinator

This thread started with a question of where to buy flared ports cheaply. I have mentioned I wanted to clone my SVS sub.

Then Brian said

"Why not just build one sub that will outperform dual 16-46's and sell your current one?"

I am just questioning the cost/practicality/size of tring to build one sub to perform the same as two of the SVS's vs cloning one to mate to my SVS. The amp size and cost have not even been brought up.

Your right, I don't know all I need too to say you can or cannot, but I do think is a legitimate question to ask. I am not asking for proof just tring to tap a little wisdom from this forum

TedO

18. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

2 Tempests/15inch Dayton DVC's should give you a ton of bass. I love mine (5.3cf sealed box, single 15inch Dayton DVC).

19. Rudy H

Rudy H Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, 115 @ 20hz is the correct value from my RS 2050 SPL meter. Note that it is a max SPL test, with no regard for distortion, playing sine waves off a Bass Mekanik v5 cd.
    I have to re-do my measurements though, since I just recently re-modded my plate amp to give a different XO frequency (100hz instead of 4.5hz, yes 4.5hz. the formula's were wrong [​IMG])
    I might be able to top my 121 @ ~45hz reading [​IMG]

20. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Asking questions is one thing, that's what this forum is for. I'm just wondering how you're reaching such conclusions as: