What's new

First Look: Crash BlueRay (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Guys,

I had Crash in 1080i on my HD Tivo... Did an A/B test of that and the new BD... The Blue Ray was a much sharper image... The DirecTv source looked soft in comparison....

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Good to hear :):tu

Slowly but surely, I'm hearing increasingly good things about BD, after the first lacklustre reviews. I hope the trend continues, because I do want to jump in.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
[speculation on]One wonders what the reasons were for some of the title delays but perhaps the quality was an issue and they are being redone???? [speculation off] This is encouraging to hear indeed. Question about your audio hookup, what are you using?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Steven, do you have the option to use the analog 6 channel connection? If so, can you try that and get the pcm5.1?

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
I don't think Directv is a valid comparison. All their HD channels are downrezzed and bitstarved. HD-Lite shouldn't be used as a comparison to BluRay or HDDVD. I'd suggest looking at an uncompressed cable source like Comcast or Dishnetwork(they don't compress their national channels, only the Voom channels).

CRyan

Screenwriter
I dont know about all markets, but Comcast here compresses the Hell out of everything - including HD premiums. You get macroblocking on fast sequences fairly consistently with them.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit

I think Comcast's company policy is that they pass the channels uncompressed -- obviously they remodulate them but the pq should be identical/close to what's coming from the source.

The fast panning and macroblocking you're talking about is common. Sometimes the source itself is macroblocked.

Check for posts by Ken H on avsforum in the hdtv programming forum. He has contacts within Comcast, who have said they leave the channels uncompressed.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter

That can only mean no compression beyond channel capacity and that is still very compressed compared to a studio master tape. Normal consumer HD is limited to ~18 Mbit/s. There are special versions with 45 Mbit/s or so that very few people have (C-Band). This is pretty transparent to the studio master but still compressed by at least a factor of 6 compared to the master (which is itself often compressed).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to watch this disc next, probably tomorrow morning because I like the film and for other reasons already stated.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks