What's new

First HT - Need advice please (1 Viewer)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I am in the planning stages of my first dedicated HT. Unfortunately my house lacks an optimally sized empty room; The best I can do is only 13'2" x 12'9".
I had originally planned to use a 57" Toshiba RPTV (57HX81), but with it I will lose over 2' of valuable space. So, after reading many of the posts on this forum, I'm now leaning towards using a front projector setup. I made a 80x45 "screen" using a bed sheet so that I could gauge the size. It doesn't look too big to me, but the Crutchfield chart says otherwise. Maybe I'm dreaming. With no image on the "screen" it is hard to tell. Is a 80x45 screen too large for the room? The seating distance is about 12' from the screen. I assume a second row of seats at 9' distance is out of the question.
frown.gif
Any advice on making this rather small room into a decent HT is appreciated.
My second problem is the sound. I know that my room is not ideal for perfect theater sound, but I imagine that I can still get things sounding pretty good with a little planning and advice. I'm probably going to use Klipsch speakers: RF-3/RC-3/RS-3/KSW-12. My main concern is the placement of the surrounds. I can mount them to the side walls at the back of the room (facing each other), but they will be just inches from the back wall which I've heard is a no-no. Alternatively I could mount them on the back wall, facing towards the screen. I'm open to any suggestions here as well. Thanks everyone!
------------------
John
http://www.twowiresthin.com

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I sit 12' from my screen also which is an 84" diagonal 4x3 screen so in fact, your 80"x45" screen is a bigger 16x9 image than what I have so what you will end up with is a decent sized image from that location.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

John Stone

Supporting Actor
Thank you both for the information.
According to TA WOW's site, the recommended viewing distance for a 80x45 screen is 8-11 feet. If I proceed based on that data, then I should be able to fit two rows of seating at 12 and 9 feet! Before I saw that chart, I figured 12 feet would be ok but thought 9 feet might be to close for a 92" diagonal screen. Anyone who has seating (or who has sat) approximately 9 feet way from a 80x45 screen, I'd really enjoy reading your comments.
On a related note, I did a lot of reading on projector technology over the weekend, but am still overwhelmed by it all. I'd especially appreciate any suggestions and comments on LCD and DLP projectors in the $3000.00-$4,000.00 range. Thanks.
------------------
John
http://www.twowiresthin.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks